Menu
boramalper
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

URGENT: Cancelling by Email

I need to cancel my Virgin Media package soon (due to a price rise) but I am abroad at the moment and cannot call the support line without paying exorbitant fees. How else can I cancel my account?

Account Number: [removed]

Area Reference: 11

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
newapollo
Superstar
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: URGENT: Cancelling by Email

Hi boramalper,

VM don't have a customer facing email address.

There are only 3 recognised ways to cancel.

You could try the text messaging service. Just send  a text with a description of cancellation  to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days. 

You can also call  150 from a Virgin landline, freephone number 0800 052 0422, or 0345 454 1111, but best to call at 8am to avoid call queues

Or write to them to as per the terms and conditions. If writing send it by registered post, or the equivalent from the country you are residing in..

Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Diamond Plaza, Daleside Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG2 3GG;

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#end

If you are still in contract there may be some early cancellation fees

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early...

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
boramalper
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It is absolutely abhorrent that in this day and age, we are forced to make hours-long phone calls or mail letters so to be able to terminate our contract. I have cancelled my direct debit and already emailed AccountTransfers@virginmedia.co.uk too. Now it's your turn to try calling me...

0 Kudos
newapollo
Superstar
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi again boromalper,

I'm just a customer the same as yourself, but emailing any VM department will not cancel the account, and more than likely no reply as most VM emails addresses aren't customer facing..

The Forum Staff can't cancel your account, nor can they arrange call backs.

I've advised of the 3 accepted methods. Telephoning is the easiest method, albeit with long hold times unless you call first thing on a morning.

Cancelling the direct debit will not stop you being billed, nor will it cancel the account. You will just be hit with late repayment fees and loss of service.

I'll leave others explain how this may affect your credit score

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@boramalper wrote:

It is absolutely abhorrent that in this day and age, we are forced to make hours-long phone calls or mail letters so to be able to terminate our contract. I have cancelled my direct debit and already emailed AccountTransfers@virginmedia.co.uk too. Now it's your turn to try calling me...

Maybe it is abhorrent, maybe it's not, but Virgin Media certainly isn't the only large telecoms company to not have customer-facing email, not by a long way.

As newapollo has mentioned, this is primarily a user-community forum and not a replacement for first-line C/S.

You may have cancelled your D/D, but as a fellow V/M user I will point out that doesn't release you from your contractual obligations to VM which include regular payments for as long as you have a contract with them. VM tend not to take a bright view of missed payments, and it can sometimes have negative implications on your credit score in the future.

What you choose to do with the advice in this post is entirely upto you, but - as mentioned by myself and others - this is primarily a user-community and all the responses you've had thus far have been from fellow customers trying to help.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

boramalper
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi japitts,

I am aware that this is primarily a customer community, though I have nowhere else to try reaching a Virgin Media customer service agent. I appreciate the volunteering effort of both of you, please don't get me wrong, but I cannot possibly accept such extortion. My experience with Virgin Media customer service wasn't stellar either, literally hours-long waits so that I can spend another 30-40 minutes trying to convince the agent for simplest matters. Two wrongs don't make a right, I frankly couldn't care less about other providers.

0 Kudos
KieranGiles92
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It is completely abhorrent.

You're just reiterating what the other guy said.

It's not okay to have a contractual service that you can't cancel or contact via email or any other method than phone. I've been getting late fees on my account without even knowing about it as well!

Gmail filters virgin media's emails about it into another place where I don't see them until it's too late. Getting in contact to set up a direct debit with them has been impossible the last year due to coronavirus.

I'm in a rough enough financial position as it is, VM are giving me a bad service right now, with limited ways to contact them and charging me extra fees on top of all that.

They're insane at acquisition, they're terrible at looking after the customer. I've been saying this for over half a decade. If you owned VM, wouldn't it be your first priority? You seem like the type of person that likes to help... You think it's okay for them to treat us this way?

boramalper
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@KieranGiles92

I have already filed a complaint with Virgin Media and I am planning to file another one with the official authorities if they refuse to respond: CISAS (Communication & Internet Services Adjudication Scheme) of CEDR (Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution)

Here is its link https://www.cedr.com/consumer/cisas/complainnow/ 

Bear in mind that you need to complain to Virgin Media first (see here) and only after 8 weeks or a deadlock you are allowed to escalate it to CISAS.

(They allow complaints to be filed online, hmm... Who would have imagined it being possible?)

Hope this helps!

Tags (2)
KieranGiles92
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey man,

I'm aware of this but I appreciate that you took the time out to reply to my message!

I'm on the phone to them now lets hope that they can resolve it with an engineer visiting the core.

99% of these issues can be solved by Virgin Media simply understanding what their network capacity is, and not onboarding a new customer to the network when they know that their infrastructure cannot support it.

It's not a case of guesswork. The internet is a bunch of connected machines with set processing speed and capacities. It's very easy to estimate how many customers you can handle in any given area with the hardware you have installed. ESPECIALLY when you have access to how the customer uses the network, which VM certainly do.

Virgin just doesn't care. They are only interested in money. Which is ridiculous because nobody can take money to their grave. Money doesn't buy you happiness, but looking after your customers, helping each other and doing the right thing does!

0 Kudos
boramalper
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just to let others know, you can also use Skype to call +44 800 064 3836 for free since it's a toll-free (0800) line. That's what I used.

0 Kudos