cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPGRADE

smudger5
Tuning in

I recently took a call offering a free upgrade on my existing account - faster speed and a new router which was installed by an engineer which of course I accepted. I haven't agreed to anything else so why was i sent O2 sim cards and why now are 02 threatening me with debt collectors over an unpaid bill of £55? I have no account with o2 but I noticed they are now partnered with Virgin Media?         

8 REPLIES 8

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey smudger5, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am so sorry to hear about this.

We are 50/50 with O2 however this does sound like when you upgraded it you may of added the sim card without realising this.

We do a package where there is an O2 sim card included, you can your package here it  will break it down Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

smudger5
Tuning in

Hi all - my Parents who  are in their  80's took a call from a VM guy who said they were entitled to an upgraded router and  a new router had been dispatched for free.  What they didnt say was the price of the serivce had gone up to £169 a month from £145 and they were also signing up to a 24 month O2 Mobile contact as part of a new package. How can this be legal?  I have thanks to The O2 Shop in Hemel Hempstead began the process of cancelling the O2 Account and to stop the threatening letters being delivered to my parents who were close to paying up what O2 say they owed them despite never even realising a Paid O2 account had been added to their package. How can this be legal? it's extortion. O2 were no help via any of their online Chat - via their call center based in India or Via Twitter Virgin Media have no phone number and no email address  just a live chat which isn't live at all and simply puts you onto watts-app which they then ignore. What is the world coming too. I want to cancel the VM account but nobody will take my cancellation. Thoughts on what to do now? Cancel Standing order maybe?  Simliar package for new VM customers = £85 - existing customers £169 - shocking!  

my parents were offered a new  router and an upgrade to their broadband they are now using 1gb superspeed broadband to check email on their laptop. No mention of signing up to o2 -  Miss sold at best - ripped off or conned more likely.  The VM sim cards originally supplied by VM as part of the TV Home phone and Broadband package are still in the draw never been used or activated. My Parents use Tesco Mobile as they prefer to pop into the store if there are  ever any issues. Trying to get in contact with VM is virtually impossible - Same with O2 had to go into a store in Town to get the miss sold O2 account closed. 

Hello smudger5.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Sorry again for the inconvenience this has caused you and your parents.

Can we just make sure everything else is okay now?

Gareth_L

no not really =  you need to train your FREE UPGRADE team- its not a free upgrade its a bloody lot more expensive my parents so called deal cost them £25 more and included paid for O2 sim cards they didnt want - didnt agree to and were never mentioned - it's very very bad practice to just upsell vunerable people for the sake or making money!  Shamefull. 

Thanks for the reply @smudger5 on the forums. 

We do have Volt offers which are package split between O2 and Virgin Media.
The total package price may be "x" amount split between 2 different direct debits, some with Virgin Media and some with O2, as O2 are our partners - we have bigger deals when their services are taken out.

If this is not the case and not what was agreed to in terms of billing and subscription - let us know and we'll escalate this.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

You are missing the point.  Anyone with a brain understands what has been repeatedly explained. I have two complaints you and this community may be interested in.1, my parents are in there 80s. Their bill went up from £145 to £169 no explanation was given. Then a few months later my father took a call to say a new router to support faster Internet speed was in the post and was free. . Clearly it was not free the price of the service had gone from £145 to £144 + £25 bill from O2  for sim cards that where never discussed ,ordered or agreed. My parents don't need 1gb briardband or charged sim cards!!!!! And woukdnt have taken them if offered during the telephone call . The first they learned they'd been signed up to O2 was when they got two threatening letters demanding payment with threats of debt collectors if they didn't pay.  That is incredibly bad practice. Please do escalate this to the highest authority it's close to fraudulent activity and is actually a form of extortion. 2, it's almost impossible to discuss problems like this with your firm. There is no phone number no email address only a virtual assistant which is useless and directs you to wattsapp which isn't live and takes up to 24 hours to answer.  When it does answer you don't realise and it disconnects before you can take up the conversation.  If you are lucky enough to catch somebody they repeat the same explanation which is not acceptable. They then pass you to another customer service contact amd you wait indefinatly again and there is no response before finally getting disconnected when they do reply hours later and you miss the 10 min window to talk. You then begin the same process again it tool 5 days to get any sense from anyone. Even now nobody has explained why my parents were signed up to anything without a discussion or agreement they were simply told Virgin wanted to send them a new router for free. I know this sales practice takes place as I had a ' free' router upgrade once sent to my office . When I moved office after 6 months I was told I couldn't terminate I had 12 months left to pay on my 'Contract- according to VM I'd agreed to a further 18 months agreement by accepting a free router upgrade.  Your firm is ckearly using same con trick years later 

Thanks for the reply @smudger5.

I will send a private message and take this case privately.
We will sort out everything that needs to be sorted step by step.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs