Menu
Bcmart
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Twitter PM

Been talking to virgin via twitter private message as I can't get through on 150. They've asked me to confirm my account by ways of long card number, card holder name, end date and the 3 digit security number on the back of the card. Does this sound right giving card details over a private message? I've queried it but they said it's the only way the system let's them check it's the verified account holder and no details are stored.

I've not given them any details. It doesnt feel right. I've never been asked for that kind of verification when I've rang them, just letters from my password.

0 Kudos
Bcmart
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Twitter PM

They've also said if there is no card linked to the virgin account or you are unsure of the card linked, you can give the information from any card in your name or one that's linked to the account holders address.

Surely, they're not seriously expecting me to give over my card details on a private message. How would any card in my name, or even the wife's card linked to my address be proof of identification?

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have flagged your post to the forum team given the sensitive information being request; be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond — hopefully the former in this case.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

that is going to be a scam. someone is asked for a card number and all details needed to use it.
and nto even a card vm knowes about any card.

Yah you are being scammed are you sure itas from VM. post a screenshot of the chat
Rachael_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bcmart,

Thank you for your post, I'm really glad that you've reached out to flag your concerns. As others have suggested, this certainly isn't a genuine request and we would never ask for this kind of information to clear security. Please do not supply this information.

We don't actually provide a direct message service via Twitter, so any messages you receive on that platform would be from fraudulent accounts. We do our best to report any such scammers to Twitter as soon as we're able, unfortunately there's nothing we can do to prevent them from being created in the first place. Would you be able to confirm their Twitter handle (after the @) so we can report this for removal?

Thanks,

Rachael

Bcmart
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi my wife has checked the messages that I got and saw it was from a spam account. I'm registered blind so whilst I have sight couldn't see the slight difference in the Twitter name - @virgnhimedia. Thankfully I didnt give any information other than my name and address 😩 and when I mentioned it to her she straight away said dont give them your details! 

They are still on twitter if you want to look, but I shall be reporting them myself. Thanks for all you help! 

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that information. I'm glad to hear you didn't provide them with any other information. 

We have reported that account. As you haven't provided any further information to the account then I don't see any need to amend anything on the account. 

If you do feel you wish to change your password though please let me know and we can do that for you. 

^Martin

0 Kudos