cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to cancel my Broadband

madman790
Joining in

Hi everyone

So I was on the phone with Virgin Media earlier today about trying to cancel my minimum 12-month contract that ends on the 18th of August 2023. They were saying that I need to give them 30 days' notice before canceling and if I do it now I have to pay an early cancellation fee. They said that I am better off calling again to cancel on the 18th August or just after it

However, after checking online and these forums it has left me confused. If I call again just after the 18th of August wouldn't that mean I have the pay the charge for the rolling month after the minimum period? As such would my best option be to ring them again on the 19th July so that there is exactly 30 day's notice before the minimum period ends on the 18th August.

Additionally the last charge for the period between now and 18th just left my bank. As such would there even be an early cancellation fee as all the charges for the contract have already been paid.

This has left me a bit confused so any help or advice that can be given would be greatly appreciated.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

This keeps getting mentioned over and over again on here. My understanding (based on past topics when this has been discussed) is that ...

You can actually give up to 60 days notice to cancel (which AIUI is a time limitation of VM's order management systems). You actually need to give VM 30 days notice as per T&Cs

You should be able to arrange that so your 30 days notice finishes on your minimum term end date. You should not have to pay any early disconnection fees as long as you serve out your full minimum term (which could include your 30 days notice period).

A further complication though is that you also need to look at when your billing period period falls and also when your direct debit is collected. VM continues to bill you as per normal right up until the day of disconnection so you may end up with a credit or a debit at your point of disconnection. Once you are disconnected, VM should produce a final bill shortly after. If you are in debit you pay that off and leave. If you are in credit VM refunds the balance back to you.

OFCOM launched an investigation yesterday into VM's business practices for customers trying to leave. You may wish to contribute to this with your experience

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/bulletins/enforcement-bulletin/open-cases/cw_01275

email and case ref. no. at the bottom of the page or report below with that info

https://ofcomforms.secure.force.com/formentry/SitesFormCCTMonitoring

Wait until you get a reply from the VM forum team here (usually within a few days) so they hopefully can clarify all of the above for you.

Given that the OFCOM investigation is now underway, I would have thought the VM forum team would be immediately jumping on any of these 'gone-wrong' cancellation topics which crop up on here and resolving them. But might be a case of " closing the stable door ... etc. etc."

Hope you manage to get your cancellation put through without any further complications or extra charges.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

goslow
Alessandro Volta

This keeps getting mentioned over and over again on here. My understanding (based on past topics when this has been discussed) is that ...

You can actually give up to 60 days notice to cancel (which AIUI is a time limitation of VM's order management systems). You actually need to give VM 30 days notice as per T&Cs

You should be able to arrange that so your 30 days notice finishes on your minimum term end date. You should not have to pay any early disconnection fees as long as you serve out your full minimum term (which could include your 30 days notice period).

A further complication though is that you also need to look at when your billing period period falls and also when your direct debit is collected. VM continues to bill you as per normal right up until the day of disconnection so you may end up with a credit or a debit at your point of disconnection. Once you are disconnected, VM should produce a final bill shortly after. If you are in debit you pay that off and leave. If you are in credit VM refunds the balance back to you.

OFCOM launched an investigation yesterday into VM's business practices for customers trying to leave. You may wish to contribute to this with your experience

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/bulletins/enforcement-bulletin/open-cases/cw_01275

email and case ref. no. at the bottom of the page or report below with that info

https://ofcomforms.secure.force.com/formentry/SitesFormCCTMonitoring

Wait until you get a reply from the VM forum team here (usually within a few days) so they hopefully can clarify all of the above for you.

Given that the OFCOM investigation is now underway, I would have thought the VM forum team would be immediately jumping on any of these 'gone-wrong' cancellation topics which crop up on here and resolving them. But might be a case of " closing the stable door ... etc. etc."

Hope you manage to get your cancellation put through without any further complications or extra charges.

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi madman790, thanks for the message, you should not be charged an early disconnection fee by booking this in early and I will send you a  PM so that this can be looked into further, Chris. 

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi madman790, thanks for contacting us via PM and I am glad to see that this is on the way to becoming resolved. 

Please let us know if you need anything further. 

Have a good day. 

Chris. 

I rang today to cancel and was told I had to pay 1 days early termination fee.

@idunno wrote:

I rang today to cancel and was told I had to pay 1 days early termination fee.

Which might well be a small price to pay to be free of VM!

Hi idunno, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. I am sorry to hear that you have decided to cancel and wish you the best with your new supplier. I hope that you decide to take up services in the future. ^Chris. 

Dissatisfied991
Joining in

I can’t get my broadband package cancelled, they leave you hanging for hours in chat, they drop all calls and I’ve written to them to cancel and they’re not acting on the letter. I’ve got proof of postage and feel I’ll have to use a solicitor, I can’t afford to continue paying for a service I’m not using. I find it incredible that this underhand behaviour is allowed.

Hi @Dissatisfied991 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry you feel this way and have decided to cancel. I can assure you we don't actively drop calls or keep people waiting; we're busier than normal but answer all calls asap.

If you've wrote to us to cancel, this will be cancelled from 30 days on the letter/end of the term, so please don't worry if you've not heard anything back.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill