cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried to get upload speed upgrade

teamfloyduk
Superfast

I asked a question on chat about the possibility of upgrading my upload speeds. What a waste of 2 days. I explained why I needed it, told several agents that I was happy with the download speed I was getting but let down by upload speed. I video call Australia a lot and the video quality has really deteriorated over the last few months. I lost count of the circles I was taken round. Anyway I was offered a "deal" that was more expensive to upgrade my whole package, after several hours I thought I'd almost agreed to go ahead with a deal I just needed a few answers but unfortunately I had to leave the conversation because I had to get to a appointment, but was told it was ok as all the notes and offer had been recorded I  just had to rejoin the conversation  when I got back. I did this but found I had to start all over again. Anyway I tried to explain to new agent that I had been offered a deal that I liked he said I must have misunderstood and it was more expensive than what I'd been quoted. I had the recorded chat so pasted the screenshot and he kept trying different prices, I got fed up and told him to forget it and had proof of the offer and would complain about the service I'd received. I won't be renewing when contract ends. What an appalling service the chat system is. Wish I'd phoned now. I have lost all confidence in virginmedia customer service.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @teamfloyduk,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.

I'm sorry to hear that you had issues with taking up a deal that was offered to you on the chat. You should have been able to pick up the chat and take the deal that you were offered first of all. 

I have looked into this on our system and can see that you have a problem with your downstream channels that could be causing your recent issues, this would need a technician visit to resolve these issues, I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment. Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Regards,
Steven_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @teamfloyduk,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.

I'm sorry to hear that you had issues with taking up a deal that was offered to you on the chat. You should have been able to pick up the chat and take the deal that you were offered first of all. 

I have looked into this on our system and can see that you have a problem with your downstream channels that could be causing your recent issues, this would need a technician visit to resolve these issues, I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment. Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Regards,
Steven_L

jem101
Superstar

Well the first thing I would say i that there is no way of just upgrading the upstream speed; as you have found this can only be done by upgrading your entire subscription.

Now unfortunately whatever deal you might have been offered, unless you explicitly accepted it there and then, becomes null and void. The way that VM run their customer services appears to be that individual agents have a fixed number of 'deals' or total amounts which they can offer to customers, and this will vary from agent to agent. So when you called back, the second agent simply may not have had the ability to offer the same deal (computer says 'no'). It doesn't matter what you may or may not have been offered previously, that's all in the past and gone, VM, or indeed any company and under no obligation to keep it open for you. Legally only if a deal is 'offered' and you agree to it and 'accept' it there and then, is a contract made which is legally binding on both parties. Everything before that is simply a set of negotiations which either party can pull out of when ever they like!

Now having said all of that, I suspect it may have done you a favour anyway. Initially you said about poor quality on video calls to Australia, now for things like this the 'speed' is almost irrelevant, even the 10Mb/s upload speed on VM's lowest normal tariff is more than adequate for a single stream video call. No what is more important it latency, and boosting your speed is likely to do precisely nothing at all to fix that, all that would have happened is that you would have found yourself tied into an new 18 months contract at a higher cost with no improvement in your service.

Golden rule, if you are having issues with your connection, simply upgrading will (almost) NEVER EVER fix it - it will make your wallet a bit lighter but that's about it!

If you care to log into the hub and post up the connection details and logs and also setup a BQM to see if there are any underlaying connectivity issues, then we can take a look and advise accordingly. There are numerous posts on here if you have a look through, which detail how to do these things if you are not sure.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming your details via private message @teamfloyduk.

I have arranged the appointment, and you can track your engineer appointments online. Simply sign into My Virgin Media and you will see your appointments on your account dashboard. However, this can take up to 24 hours to be updated.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for.
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Regards,
Steven_L

Many thanks Steven 

Hi jem101

Thanks for replying, I've been contacted by someone else saying he has looked at my system and it needs a technician visit.

I've been on a DM with him and he has arranged a engineer visit.