Menu
findon
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Treatment of existing customers

I appreciate the New Customers VS Existing Customers discussion is as old as the hills, but my goodness it's frustrating.

Currently Paying: £87/month on old Full House Bundle (200mbps broadband, Full House TV, Talk Weekends)

Situation: Don't really watch TV at all (only Sport which we would get if we were offered a non-ridiculous deal, otherwise happy to not have the TV at all), need fast broadband for working from home, streaming, games etc. Don't ever use phone except to ring Virgin to moan.

Ring up to discuss options (specifically downgrading to remove the TV really), end up being offered Sport and 350mbps broadband for £91/month, so £4/month more and lesser broadband and no multi-room, compared to the deal that a new customer could get at £79/month.

Through to customer retentions and the best they can do is dropping the TV and leaving us on 200mbs broadband at £50 /month (which would be £31 for a new customer)

I get that Virgin is a business, but these discussions always seem to end badly for the customer. If we'd been offered the Oopmh bundle we'd have probably happily signed up for another 18 months and been off the phone in 10 minutes, but instead here we are with a saving on the bill, but a very bitter taste in our mouths, as you don't feel you've got any kind of 'deal'.

Leaving you no option but to look to leave, almost as if Virgin are daring you to do it.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Treatment of existing customers

Have a play with the build a bundle site to get an idea of standard pricing for whatever combination of services you're looking at.

You've said "sport" but not which sport channels. Sky Sports & Premier Sports are chargeable regardless, BT Sport is included in the Maxit top tier. You can disregard the references to 360 on the bundle checker, this is "as if" you were a brand-new customer - it's the pricing after the 18month discount (i.e. standard) that you're interested in.

Using that as a base, take a price that you'd like to aim for in exchange for an 18month contract, and a price that you will accept. Price up the closest equivalent from alternative suppliers and use that to compare. Then callback with all this pricing information ready to hand.

Ultimately you will need to be prepared to give your 30days notice and disconnect if VM won't offer you a package you consider acceptable - you may then get a call from outbound retentions, but you need to be willing to follow through with that disconnection and have alternative suppliers installed.

If you're not prepared to disconnect and walk, there's a good chance the retentions agent will realise this and factor that into the pricing they offer you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

findon
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yeah for sure, this all makes sense (and thanks for the advice). The game of cat and mouse is what is infuriating, the fact that the business model is based on making customers fight for a better deal, banking on the fact that they won't and making it hard for them to do so makes my skin crawl. Even the messaging throughout the site is horrendous;

"If you're already one of our super-awesome customers we might have some offers just for you." - give me a break

I know it's not just Virgin who do this, but that doesn't make it any less annoying!

0 Kudos
findon
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've just been on the live webchat, which the upgrade option in my account now seems to be forcing me to use. The agent is clearly dealing with loads of queries at once, responding to me every 5-10 minutes, I could have a conversation over email quicker!

Feels like they are trying to bore me into submission.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

IMO - package renegotiations & discussions are so much easier done by phone, than the painful online chat.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

findon
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, i've never used the online chat before, but it's almost laughable.

0 Kudos