cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeline to move abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,
I am moving abroad the first week of August.
My contract is normally ending on the 1st of august. If I give notice now, you are going to charge me an early disconnection fee. But If I wait until the 1st of August, then It will be too late to receive the return package and send it back to you once still in the country.

What is the best way of finishing my contract (avoiding an early disconnection fee) and being able to send the equipment back between the 1st and the 4th of August?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Let's clarify what you mean by "my contract is ending" - do you mean that's when your minimum term ends?

You need to give (at least) 30days notice, regardless of whether you disconnect inside or beyond your minimum term. If you give that notice now, then you will cancel on or around 9th August.

As to whether VM can arrange the return of equipment that is still under contract (if I understand your timeline correctly), that could be the awkward bit here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Let's clarify what you mean by "my contract is ending" - do you mean that's when your minimum term ends?

You need to give (at least) 30days notice, regardless of whether you disconnect inside or beyond your minimum term. If you give that notice now, then you will cancel on or around 9th August.

As to whether VM can arrange the return of equipment that is still under contract (if I understand your timeline correctly), that could be the awkward bit here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Understand that and this is why I am asking that question.
My 18-month contract started 2nd of Feb. It will normally terminate 1st of August.
I was wondering if it is best to terminate my contract in the coming days/weeks with an early disconnection fee (EDF), or wait for the 1st of August and tell them I cancel all services and may/risk having to pay an extra 30 days at full price (I have the Big Bundle (M600, Sport, movie, unlimited TPH...)

I called them this morning and it wasn't very clear. I was told that if I give notice now, before the end of the 18month period, then I'll have to pay the EDF (around 98£ as of today).

So I was recommended to wait until the 31st of July, call them, end my contract and ask to terminate all services immediately.
Then try to send my equipment before I depart the country... I have just requested to be sent a return package asap

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Anonymous wrote:

My 18-month contract started 2nd of Feb. It will normally terminate 1st of August.

Hi @Anonymous 

The starting date you give for your contract  is unclear. You state it's an 18 month contract that started on 2nd February.   Was that in 2021 or 2022?

Your answer will determine if early disconnections fees apply and how much you will have to pay.

If you give VM your 30 day cancellation notice today then your account will be closed on 9th August.

If your contract commenced on 2nd February 2021 then your discounted rate would end on 1st August 2022, so there would be no early cancellation fees, but you would pay pay full price between 2nd August and the date your account closes

However, if your acount was set up 2nd February 2022 then you would actually be in contract until 1st August 2023, and have to pay early termination fees until that date.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Anonymous

Welcome to the community.

Thanks for getting in touch. You would be charged early disconnection fees if you cancel anytime within your contract. If you're contract ends on the 1st August 2022, then I recommend you can give your 30 day disconnection notice as soon as possible, as it will take 30 days to disconnect your services. You can let us know you are moving abroad on our online and webchat service here

You'll also need to return any equipment back to us so that you do not incur any unreturned equipment charges. Normally you'll receive the prepaid packaging 10 days after your disconnection date. If this is too late for you,  you can print off your own returns label here and drop the equipment off at your nearest collect plus point. 

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns and we'll be here to help and support if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley