cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threatening letters saying I owe money - I don't have a Virgin Media or Mobile account!

dom528
Tuning in

I received a letter a couple of months ago from Virgin media mobile Finance (signed by customer services director Rachel Barrass) saying I was a month in arrears on a payment. I rang Virgin who said I don't have an account and it's likely a scam (09/06/23 - I have the name of who I spoke to).

I ignored it and received a second letter a month later saying I'm in arrears two months. I rang Virgin again and they said since I don't have an account, they need to send me letter to verify my identity (I used to have a Virgin Media account which ended (fully paid and resolved July 2021). This letter never arrived. (10/07/23 - again have the name)

I've now just received a very threatening letter saying if I don't pay £108 by 16/09/23 (two days time), I'm liable for £1296 and it will be passed to a debt collection agency.

I also sent an email to Rachel Barrass on 09/06/23 saying I've receive a potentially fraudulent letter with her name and signature (with photo of letter attached) and have heard nothing back.

Just to confirm that I do not have any open accounts with Virgin Media Mobile Finance. If I owe money to anyone, I'm more than willing to pay it however I did not create this account! It does not appear in my bank statements nor my Experian credit reports.

Knowing that in two days I'll have a debt collection agency chasing me for £1296  is incredibly stressful. Can someone help me urgently please?

I'll also add that I'm contacting the CISAS, OFCOM, seeking legal advice and advice from my NHS union. Please don't read that as a threat as it's not intended as such. I've tried several times to reach out to Virgin and have nothing to show for it so far and I feel like I have no choice now.

What I want more than anything is for someone to contact me and take this seriously, as I'm about to be in the crossfire of a debt collection agency, not to mention the impact on my own credit rating and the accompanying stress (which isn't helping my condition as a victim of heart failure).

If it seems crass that I'm dropping in that I work for the NHS or have heart failure, I'm just trying to convey I'm a normal person with with my own stresses (as we all have) and this is making everything worse. Please contact me.

Regards,

Dominic.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yozzer
Dialled in

Hi Dominic, If you do not have an account with VM, then you cannot owe the money. It just might be possible someone has used your id and incurred the debt with VM. My wife had her id used, and as I found, it can be difficult to get somebody to take it seriously. If it is somebody has used your id, and is a one off, that may be hard to track, and VM will be in a position to help, it not an uncommon event. If your id is actually fully hi jacked, Somebody senior in the NHS may be able to help, as the NHS have access to a duplicate NI number database I believe, to help id false claimants, so ask in work. I myself can do nothing, (82), and I cannot even get VM to listen to me.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey dom528,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with this incident, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

dom528
Tuning in

I received a letter a couple of months ago from Virgin media mobile Finance (signed by customer services director Rachel Barrass) saying I was a month in arrears on a payment. I rang Virgin who said I don't have an account and it's likely a scam (09/06/23 - I have the name of who I spoke to).

I ignored it and received a second letter a month later saying I'm in arrears two months. I rang Virgin again and they said since I don't have an account, they need to send me letter to verify my identity (I used to have a Virgin Media account which ended (fully paid and resolved July 2021). This letter never arrived. (10/07/23 - again have the name)

I've now just received a very threatening letter saying if I don't pay £108 by 16/09/23 (two days time), I'm liable for £1296 and it will be passed to a debt collection agency.

I also sent an email to Rachel Barrass on 09/06/23 saying I've receive a potentially fraudulent letter with her name and signature (with photo of letter attached) and have heard nothing back.

Just to confirm that I do not have any open accounts with Virgin Media Mobile Finance. If I owe money to anyone, I'm more than willing to pay it however I did not create this account! It does not appear in my bank statements nor my Experian credit reports.

Knowing that in two days I'll have a debt collection agency chasing me for £1296  is incredibly stressful. Can someone help me urgently please?

I'll also add that I'm contacting the CISAS, OFCOM, seeking legal advice and advice from my NHS union. Please don't read that as a threat as it's not intended as such. I've tried several times to reach out to Virgin and have nothing to show for it so far and I feel like I have no choice now.

What I want more than anything is for someone to contact me and take this seriously, as I'm about to be in the crossfire of a debt collection agency, not to mention the impact on my own credit rating and the accompanying stress (which isn't helping my condition as a victim of heart failure).

If it seems crass that I'm dropping in that I work for the NHS or have heart failure, I'm just trying to convey I'm a normal person with with my own stresses (as we all have) and this is making everything worse. Please contact me.

Regards,

Dominic.

[MOD EDIT: Duplicate threads merged]

Hi @dom528, thanks for your post although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here.

We'll need to investigate this further but I can see that my colleague Steven has already invited you to a PM as you have posted another thread with this information.

Please continue to communicate with him directly and he'll assist you further.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Yozzer
Dialled in

Hi Dominic, If you do not have an account with VM, then you cannot owe the money. It just might be possible someone has used your id and incurred the debt with VM. My wife had her id used, and as I found, it can be difficult to get somebody to take it seriously. If it is somebody has used your id, and is a one off, that may be hard to track, and VM will be in a position to help, it not an uncommon event. If your id is actually fully hi jacked, Somebody senior in the NHS may be able to help, as the NHS have access to a duplicate NI number database I believe, to help id false claimants, so ask in work. I myself can do nothing, (82), and I cannot even get VM to listen to me.

Hi Yozzer, thanks for the response and advice; Ive at least managed to get an investigation ref no. however that doesn't quite resolve all my short term issues! I'll check in with our legal dept. and my union legal to follow up your suggestion. Have a good day 🙂

Hi Dominic, thanks for the Kudos. I should be leaving VM in another 27 days or so, and may no longer have access to this forum, but let me know, PM if you want, if this gets resolved. If the bad debt company, (may even be owned by VM), approach you, (or do it now), advise them, in writing, that this issue is in a legal dispute. If they are a real "bad debt" company, that should/maybe freeze actions against you until the matter is resolved. If it is, as I strongly suspect, a case of your id being exploited, it would look very bad indeed for VM if they did not actively assist , as they will have the address of the "other" you if they have received services, to compare with the real you. I used to have a rough justice web site, (not anymore), and stolen id's was not such a big problem, but in recent years, it is rising rapidly, but some companies do not care about id exploitation, as long as somebody pays in the end. Not that I am saying VM is like that. In my wife's case, the id thief lived in Manchester and was acting blatantly!

spell
Knows their stuff

Many of us have left Virgin Media because of a variety of outrageous experiences - you will still have access to the forum if you want to witness things getting worse - incompetence has now reduced to desperate behaviour.