Menu
jimc99
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Terminating contract advice please

Hello

I have been a Virgin " TV only" customer for several years and my current contract ends in the middle of next month (February). I have just received details of my new contract which together with the annual price rise just announced by Virgin means that I will be paying 50% more  than at present which due to my situation of being a pensioner on a fixed income I can no longer afford.

I have tried over the past couple of days to contact Virgin to see if I could negotiate a reduction but after listening for hours to recorded music and no doubt accumulating a large phone bill I have came to the conclusion that Virgin's call centres must have gone the same way as their shops. My only recourse left is to terminate my contract when it ends and to this end I intend sending a Recorded Delivery letter stating that fact to Jeff Dodds, Chief Operating Officer, Griffin House, 161 Hammersmith Road, London and at the same time instruct my bank to stop any future payments after my February payment at the end of my contract. Is this the correct procedure for such action? Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you 

Regards

Jim

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Terminating contract advice please

Hi Jimc99, 

Really sorry you're having trouble speaking to the team to discuss a new deal, I can appreciate the frustration. 

All of our teams are very busy at the moment but will always answer as quickly as possible. The best time to contact us is after 8am when we open and I'm sure the team will be able to find a new deal for you. 

I'm afraid we don't do package changes on here but if you do have further issues let us know. 

You can also write to us to cancel the services but I wouldn't advise cancelling the Direct Debit as this can stop the services in the meantime or cause a missed payment to appear. 

Do let us know how you get on. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
jimc99
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - will keep trying
Jim
0 Kudos
gurpswu
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Jim, please continue to shop around for a deal. It takes some effort for you to get them to budge but it is possible.

If you ever get through on the phone, and ask them to cancel, they may offer a reduced price...if it's still not good enough, go ahead with the cancellation, and the next day you should get another call from virgin media giving you an even lower price!

i can't guarantee the above, but many people on this forum report that it happens.
jimc99
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for advice - did keep trying and eventually got through and did eventually negotiate a reasonable deal but not before suffering 30 minutes of being talked down to and made to feel degraded by an operative in an Indian call centre - quite appalling. I now understand first-hand why Virgin Media always come bottom of all surveys of customer care. 

Regards

Jim

0 Kudos
jimc99
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Emma_C

Just to let you know that I did persist and eventually got through to a call centre where I was able to achieve a degree of success in renegotiating a new contract though it was not before I had to suffer 30 minutes of being humiliated and degraded by an operative at an Indian call centre by being constantly put on hold and continually being made offers in excess of what I had already been offered - no attempt at reasonable human conversation. Eventually he grew tired of his game and I was passed to a young lady who, thankfully, was very helpful and a deal was concluded. I can see why Virgin Media come bottom of every survey of customer care. Anyway the above has nothing to do with you and I thank you for taking the time to help out - it is a pity that your excellent work at customer care is being ruined by the uncaring attitude of others.

Regards

Jim

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jimc99, 

Thanks for coming back to us and explaining the rigmarole you went through, I am sorry about the frustration caused!

Your feedback will help us improve areas that need more training, which certainly seems to be the issue here.

Once again, thank you for your view and I am sorry!

Please enjoy your great new deal and have a lovely weekend.

Thanks, 

Megan_L

0 Kudos