cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminating My Contract - Shady Practices

Skev123
Joining in

I feel like I've been lied to numerous times when trying to disconnect from Virgin.

My 18 month contract started on 24 September 2021, and by my reckoning, that means it concludes on 23 March 2023.

First lie: It's too early to book a termination now, the earliest I can inform them of the cancellation is 30 days before. I pointed out that the contract stated that I needed to provide at least 30 days notice of termination, and I was reluctantly told that he didn't think it would work, but he'd give it a go.

Second lie: I asked to terminate on the last day of my contract (23 March). I was told that my contract ran to 27 March, as the 18 months was on the system in days, and as there were two Februarys it pushed the contract termination date out.

Third lie: The 18 months discount applied to headline price expired earlier than the 27 March, so the last few days of my bill would be at the full rate (I.e. more than double).

In the end, I was offered a reasonable deal to stay with Virgin, but the dishonesty had hacked me off so much, I decided to decline.

3 REPLIES 3

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

We're used to hearing tales of dodgy practice around cancellations despite there being regulations that prohibit this, so what you say comes as no surprise.  There is of course always room for innovation, and I was very impressed with "as there were two Februarys it pushed the contract termination date out".

You say you turned down a reasonable deal because you'd had enough.  Be prepared for outbound retention calls right up until and including the day your cancellation takes effect.  These agents do usually have the leeway to offer deals as good as VM offer new customers, so at least know how you'll respond, and note the changes to bake substantial price rises into the contract.  If you do want to negotiate make sure any price you agree applies AFTER this April's price rise.  And know that in April 2024 you'll not have the leeway to cancel, even though if you sign up for the Big Bundle package now there's a good reason to reckon you'd be hit with a 20% price rise next April.

I recently cancelled on the basis of VM poor support, and the unpleasantness of having to play the retentions pantomime every 18 months, and I was very clear that I wasn't returning to VM at any price but even that didn't stop the phone calls. 

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Simple to confirm whether any of the ‘facts’ are true or false - all dates and pricing are in your contract, available on My Virginmedia. Here is mine as an example:

5DD8A0DF-6590-4ADD-A52E-C0426914D5AE.jpeg

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@Ernie_C wrote:

Simple to confirm whether any of the ‘facts’ are true or false - all dates and pricing are in your contract, available on My Virginmedia. Here is mine as an example:

If only it were so simple.  My contract ended (ie not a fixed period, actual termination of service) on Tuesday or Wednesday this week, and it wasn't at all clear in MVM that the cancellation had been processed.  Looking now, under contract all that shows is a "service change receipt" for the transfer out of a landline, and that took place well before notice was given for cancellation of the remaining broadband element of the package.