Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Tax return

I have a tv, phone and broadband package, but need to know roughly the cost of the broadband part of this bundle each month. I need this for my tax return. How can I find this amount out, or what do other people do for their tax returns please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tax return

Hi Hmidd

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting 🙂

We're able to request a VAT bill for you however this won't show the specific charges broken down - it will just show the amount for the entire service. If you want a breakdown of the bill this would be something you can log in to you online account here. 

You will be able to view your bills and download copies that show the breakdown between broadband, TV etc. 

If you would like us to request an overall VAT bill please let us know and we'll private message you to get this sorted. 

Thanks, 

Hollie_B

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My account doesn’t show a breakdown of the cost of tv, broadband, phone etc, just the package cost. This is the specific info that I need, so I can include my broadband expenditure in my tax return. How do I find this please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

you do not have a phone tv and internet service. you have a package with all so there is no breakdown.
You pay for a package with all 3. There is no service price int he package just as a whole

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This is just one of the many reasons you shouldn't use a domestic service for business purposes.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That’s why I’ve asked what other people do for their tax returns. There must be plenty of other people who have a package deal that are self employed, and need these details for their tax return

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That’s easier said than done, when I work from home in an ad hoc basis. I’m not going to have separate internet services for my domestic use, and as hoc self employment. 
pretty sure I’m not the only one this applies to...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Hmidd wrote:

That’s easier said than done, when I work from home in an ad hoc basis. I’m not going to have separate internet services for my domestic use, and as hoc self employment. 
pretty sure I’m not the only one this applies to...

I'm sure you're not, but if you choose to use a domestic service for business purposes you have to accept the limitations and consequences.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/acceptable-use-policy

5. Your responsibilities - Virgin Media’s systems, services and equipment

5.2. Specific prohibited acts in relation to Virgin Media’s systems, services and equipment are:
5.2.4. trade or business use of our services, except for  remote access to your employer’s corporate network (and remember in any case that we are not liable for any loss occurring as a result of such use), unless you subscribe to a a product that is specifically stated as a business product. If you are a residential customer and you wish to use our services for trade or business use, go to https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/ for more information;

As previously noted you are being billed for a package. It's highly unlikely that VM will provide a breakdown of charges for each component part of that package, even if they could.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm self-employed. But I would have the internet at home anyway whether I worked here or not so I do not claim it on my return.

If i would still have something if i was not self employed its not a business expense

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax @Hmidd 

Apcyberax makes a very valid point.

If you really want a rough breakdown you could try going through the new customer bundle builder feature on the VM sales website.

Being pragmatic, if you only do ad hoc 'self employed' work is the gross income likely to exceed your personal income tax allowance?  If not, claiming for expenses is irrelevant.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos