cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking on an account

Cushag
Tuning in

Hi

Main policy holder (father) has recently passed away, my mother has taken on the account but all discounts have been removed and cost has gone up by £70 per month - I wasn't involved in this call.

I don't pretend to understand Virgin plans (we are on Sky as Virgin is not available where I live).  She has Ultimate Volt bundle that includes:

Maxit TV, Netflix standard, Virgin TV 360 box, Additional TV box (have ticks next to them on the contract), Kids picks, Sky sports and Cinema Collection, Viaplay Sports, Sky Sports HD pack, Sky Entertainment and Cinema Ultra HD (these have plus sign next to them so I assume extra cost).
Volt M600 Fibre, Homeworks, WiFI Booster credit, WiFi booster starter kit
Telephone line rental, Talk More International Anytime, voicemail free.

Are any of the above options removable/downgradable?  Doesn't need Netflix, any of the sports or International phone calls which I assume is what Talk more international is.

Is there something more suitable without Volt?  From my googling it seems to be beneficial if you have an O2 account which she doesn't.

She needs to keep the existing telephone number and has been told she can't change anything without losing her landline number, which seems harsh.

Trying to get an understanding before I phone and get the hard sell, which I assume my father has had in the past.  

On the new contract she has been sent there is an X in the minimum period, with Sky we would phone up and they would give us a new deal but we don't use them for our telephone number so have never had to worry about that.

Many thanks for any information.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @Cushag 

Thanks for updating the thread.  Sorry in advance for this long post.

Your mother should speak to the retentions team and negotiate a new deal (or cancel) with the services she actually wants and at a price she is happy with. I suggest it would be best if you could be with her when she makes that call, best way is for her to pass verification and ask for you to talk on her behalf, then once you've secured a good deal for her pass the phone back  so she can authorise the changes.

You will need the phone passcode (memorable word)  If you don't know it then sign into My Virgin Media and you should be able to update the memorable word by logging in there. When logged in click on Account Settings >  Account Details > scroll down to Telephone Security Details  (memorable word) > and then click on Edit

Your mother currently has Netflix standard plus premium channels included as part of the Ultimate Volt tier:-

Kids picks (normally an additional £5 a month), Sky Sports and Cinema Collection, Sky Sports HD pack, Sky Entertainment and Cinema Ultra HD.    She also has Viaplay Sports which isn't part of the Ultimate Volt and costs  an additional £12.99 a month.   EDIT - The Ultimate Volt also includes BT Sports (now called TNT Sports)

Your mother also pays for Homeworks which is an extra £9.99 a month - in my opinion your mother doesn't need Homeworks. It guarantees a next day technician visit if necessary (subject to availability) and Gadget Rescue which is similair to  Curry's premium tech support - a waste of money  see https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/homeworks? 

The WiFi booster starter kit and booster credit is a freebie as part of Volt to help spread the wifi signal further. Your mother may have the older booster pods which can be a fire hazard, see photo below to check if that's the boosters she has. They has now been replaced by wifi pods as part of /wifi-max 

Telephone line rental is included in all packages, but Talk More International Anytime (now renamed as International Anytime Chatter) is the most expensive phone plan, ideal if wanting to call abroad, or make phone calls for free at any time of the day providing they are less than 60 minutes in length.   If you scroll down the  https://www.virginmedia.com/landline page you can see the current call packages.

The following link shows the TV channels available in each tarif.  /ChannelGuide_August_23.pdf   The channels in your mothers package are shown in column 5 (Maxit)  - there is a lower tier shown in column 4 (Mixit) which she could choose instead,  the other tiers/packages are obsolete and just shown for reference.

The Mixit channels are basically freeview with a few channels added.  /Personal_Picks can be added to the Mixit tier if wanting a better selection of channels.

powerline boosterspowerline boosters

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Cushag

Condolences on your fathers passing, sending upliftment and support.

Sorry to read  of the increase in pricing. You have indicated that your mother has taken over the account and  has the  Ultimate Volt bundle, that means apart from the services you have listed there should also be an O2 sim involved, possibly laid in a drawer unused, and billed separately by O2.

Did you mother speak to the bereavement team as they are best placed to help. (0800 952 2302 between 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday, and 9am -5pm on Saturday) 

See https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/change-account-holder 

and the sub section, 'What to do if the account holder has passed away'   there are also contact details there for the O2 bereavement team.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks, she did speak to the Bereavement team and they changed the name on the account but advised she needed to speak to another department to review the actual items she has taken on.

Just trying to understand what she can remove from her contract or if she should be able to amend to something more suitable (and affordable).
Is ultimate Volt the only option for broadband, tv and landline telephone?

Will take another look at my dad's bank account and see if any extra direct debits to O2 are going out, nothing mentioned on the contract from Virgin.

Unfortunately I am coming into the discussions half way through, with very little information.

Thank you

Hi Cushag,

Thank you for your post. Please also accept my deepest condolences;  I know it must be a difficult time for you both.

Our Bereavement Team are usually able to process package changes when the account has been transferred over, so there may have been a reason why they were unable to on this occasion.

I'd be more than happy to go through your options with you and look at reducing your payments. We do offer a variety different packages and not all of them include an O2 SIM card, if this is not something you're interested in (Volt).

I've sent you over a private message so I can assist you further from there.

Kind regards

Beth

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @Cushag 

Thanks for updating the thread.  Sorry in advance for this long post.

Your mother should speak to the retentions team and negotiate a new deal (or cancel) with the services she actually wants and at a price she is happy with. I suggest it would be best if you could be with her when she makes that call, best way is for her to pass verification and ask for you to talk on her behalf, then once you've secured a good deal for her pass the phone back  so she can authorise the changes.

You will need the phone passcode (memorable word)  If you don't know it then sign into My Virgin Media and you should be able to update the memorable word by logging in there. When logged in click on Account Settings >  Account Details > scroll down to Telephone Security Details  (memorable word) > and then click on Edit

Your mother currently has Netflix standard plus premium channels included as part of the Ultimate Volt tier:-

Kids picks (normally an additional £5 a month), Sky Sports and Cinema Collection, Sky Sports HD pack, Sky Entertainment and Cinema Ultra HD.    She also has Viaplay Sports which isn't part of the Ultimate Volt and costs  an additional £12.99 a month.   EDIT - The Ultimate Volt also includes BT Sports (now called TNT Sports)

Your mother also pays for Homeworks which is an extra £9.99 a month - in my opinion your mother doesn't need Homeworks. It guarantees a next day technician visit if necessary (subject to availability) and Gadget Rescue which is similair to  Curry's premium tech support - a waste of money  see https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/homeworks? 

The WiFi booster starter kit and booster credit is a freebie as part of Volt to help spread the wifi signal further. Your mother may have the older booster pods which can be a fire hazard, see photo below to check if that's the boosters she has. They has now been replaced by wifi pods as part of /wifi-max 

Telephone line rental is included in all packages, but Talk More International Anytime (now renamed as International Anytime Chatter) is the most expensive phone plan, ideal if wanting to call abroad, or make phone calls for free at any time of the day providing they are less than 60 minutes in length.   If you scroll down the  https://www.virginmedia.com/landline page you can see the current call packages.

The following link shows the TV channels available in each tarif.  /ChannelGuide_August_23.pdf   The channels in your mothers package are shown in column 5 (Maxit)  - there is a lower tier shown in column 4 (Mixit) which she could choose instead,  the other tiers/packages are obsolete and just shown for reference.

The Mixit channels are basically freeview with a few channels added.  /Personal_Picks can be added to the Mixit tier if wanting a better selection of channels.

powerline boosterspowerline boosters

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Cushag
Tuning in

Many thanks everyone for all your help.

Really appreciate everyone's info (super speedy too).

Thanks