Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Taking Virgin Media to court for damage to property

Hello

I don't even use Virgin Media, but in November, cables went down across our local streets.

To keep the story brief, my garden wall and gate were damaged, and Virgin deny responsibility. (I have before and after photos which they have seen)

I have been sent a letter telling me that if I wish to take the matter further, I must email or write to the defense team.

I did both, and the email was sent 28th Jan, and there's been no response from them at all since.

I now wish to go through small claims court. Having not gone through the process before, does anyone have any advice please?

Thanks 

Here's the email:

COM complaint reference number 103802788

"Hello

I wish to open a small claims court case against Virgin Media for damage to my property, regarding complaint no: COM 103802788.

You already have my statements and photographs, and I have received your letter which does not uphold my complaint. 

My complaint was dealt with appallingly, and caused me huge stress and upset. I made many phone calls to stop further damage, to be ignored by Virgin Media staff, who only made the damage even worse.

I'd appreciate a quick response please"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Taking Virgin Media to court for damage to property

Hi Tara100,

Thanks for your post, we're very sorry to hear that you're dissatisfied with the resolution to your complaint. Unfortunately, this isn't able to be progressed via the Community Forums, the next steps we can advise would be to follow the complaints process, found here virg.in/ccop

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The complaints process you linked to is clearly titled Consumer Complaints Code of Practice. 

The OP is clearly not a consumer of VM's services, quote "I don't even use Virgin Media", so exactly how is this document relevant to their situation?

Making a claim - England:- https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

Making a claim - Scotland:- https://www.mygov.scot/court-claim-money/

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sololobo,

Thanks, for your post. The processes and timescales outlined in the document is the same whether having an account with us or not. Anyone who contacts us or uses any part of our service, is a consumer, a community forum member is still a consumer.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Corey I've gone through the complaints procedure. The final response letter I received from Virgin, told me to email the legal team, which I did in January. They won't respond to me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying, Tara100, if the conclusion of the complaint was to continue via legal means, then this would not be initiated through Virgin Media. It would be advising you that you do have legal recourse independently and whomever you hire to legally represent you, would initiate contact with us through legal channels.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the letter states to contact them at their 'defence'' email address, IF I decide to take a legal route! As they won't respond, then I have to go ahead with issuing a money claim case. I've followed their advice, which was a load of baloney. If they think I'm going away, well nope, I'm not. 

What a waste of my time this whole saga has been. I'll get onto making a case now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Corey_C,

Consumer: Definition
A consumer is a person who purchases goods or services or uses services.

Under this definition I understand that a paying customer is a consumer. I can see how a community contributor may also be considered a consumer.

Paying customers receive a contract, details of Terms and Conditions, and protections under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted

Contributers to the forum are provided with guidance as to what is acceptable and what is not in the Community FAQ. https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/participation#participation

However it's a long stretch to then define "anyone who contacts us" as a consumer. Under the above definition they are most certainly not.

You cannot possibly be suggesting that anyone who contacts Virgin Media for any reason is then automatically a consumer, just because you say so? 

The OP is not a consumer merely because they have had reason to contact Virgin Media, and to suggest they are is ludicrous.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there @Tara100

We are very sorry that you have not yet had a reply to your email you sent to our Defence team - I have been able to locate your complaint from your reference number and we have contacted the team on your behalf to request an update. 

Please leave it with me and we'll do all we can to ensure you get a response and a resolution. 

Thanks for your continued patience. 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Katie.

0 Kudos