Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Support told me to Cancel and start a new service!

I really can't believe this has been so difficult.

On Friday 18 October 2019, I called VirginMedia and eventually (after 90+ minutes) managed to agree upon a package that I thought I wanted, BigBundle +350 +v6

• 350Mbps
  • Mixit TV, 110 Channels
  • Telephone
  • £48/month for 12 months, then £69/month thereafter

I received the relevant kit on Wednesday 23 October 2019, installed and got up and running with broadband and TV.

I then thought that I don't actually need the 350Mbps and since I've only had the service for 2 days (time of writing being Friday 25 October 2019) that I'm well within the "14 day cooling off period", so I'd try and call VirginMedia again to change it to one of their standard bundles as advertised on their website. Specifically, I asked to be changed to their "Big Bundle + Drama Pick" package, which would give me:

• 108MBps
  • Mixit TV + Drama Pick, 150 channels
  • Telephone
  • Amazon Prime
  • £38/month for 12 months, then £69/month thereafter

After being passed around numerous departments, the Indian call centre eventually passed me to a Scottish lady by the name of Karen. I again explained the situation and she initially told me that she'd be able to sort things out for me. However, after several more rounds of being put on hold whilst she tried to help me, I was then advised that she'd spoken to 2 of her managers because 'the system' was not allowing her to give me the service I wanted. I was then advised to CANCEL the service and to call Sales again next week to start a new service as per what I'm now requesting (i.e. Big Bundle + Drama Pick).

I was/am flabbergasted at the failings of 'the system' and was told "sorry, but I can't do anything about it".

I've since called the customer helpline again, explained the situation again, was put on hold again, whilst the Indian call centre representative said he was looking into this problem, but (again) was cut off. I say again, becuase I frequently get cut off, after being put on hold and despite my requests for someone to call me back if I get cut off, no one ever does.

This really is just terrible customer service - especially for a new customer.

So my situation now is that I've cancelled my recently new service and received an automated email informing me: "Your disconnection date - Your services will stop on the date you were advised". Karen, (the Scottish customer help lady) informed me that my recently new service would stop on Friday 1 November 2019, and that I would Not be charged. She also informed me that the sales team should be able to make sure that I don't have to return the recently delivered and installed kit, so that I could just keep using it with the desired service.

I have no confidence in this situation whatsoever. I don't trust that when I call back the sales team that they'll know/care about the recent new service having to be cancelled and then having to start again.

I'm writing this in the hope that a native English speaking VirginMedia representative can actually help me through this difficult situation, which really should be so much easier.

If a VirginMedia representative is able to help / disuss this, I'm happy to be contacted via this forum, or private message, or phone.

I just want this sorted out and to stop wasting so much time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Support told me to Cancel and start a new service!

Hi @derrickr

Welcome to the forums and thanks so much for your first ever post - so sorry that you've been having some issues with your package change. 

Once you have signed up and had your services active, we can indeed look to downgrade your package, but we would be unable to offer you the new customer deals and you could potentially loose your discounts that have been applied for the new customer deal you signed up to initially. 

If you have then decided to close your account and sign back up again, you would need to wait at least 90 days to sign back up again as a new customer on a new customer deal. You would need to return any equipment back to us to avoid any charges. new equipment would need to be sent when you then sign back up again. 

We also are unable to promise that the offer you wish to sign up to will be available when you do sign up again. 

I am sorry that you have been advised differently when you have called. I would be more than happy to check your account to see if we could change your package before the disconnection goes though - however, I'm unable to promise that you would get the offer you wish to take as this would be a new customer deal and you are now an existing customer. 

I have sent you a Private Message - if you'd like me to check your account, please do respond and I'll do all I can to help. Just look out for the purple envelope. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The thing is that I am a new customer and I'm only in day 2 of the 14 day cooling off period.

Surely, if I cancel the service I am not a continuing customer. Or at least, that's what I was told today by Karen.

I've sent you the requested details in the private message.

Ideally, I'd just like to "downgrade" to my required package. Kind of feels like I'm being bullied/punished for changing my mind - but isn't that what the 14 day cooling off period is for.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Cheers @derrickr

I have responded this morning for you 🙂 

Pop me a reply when you can so we can assist you further. 

Thanks

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

This is the 'private' message thread that Katie_WT from Virgin communicated with me, basically saying that I now have to cancel the service and then wait 30 days before I can be treated as a new customer again!!!

This 'advice' is in contrast to the 'customer service' representatives advice on the phone, just last week.

Simply posting here, so others can see the service being provided.

I don't have the time, but will also submit a case to ofcom to see what they've got to say about this.

My advice to potential new customers: Please ensure you do your homework and make sure you're 100% happy with the deal you've signed up for, as their 14 day cooling off period obviously means nothing, apart from the ability to cancel.

Friday

Hello @derrickr

I've been unable to locate your account so please can you advise the following:

• Your full name and that of the account holder
  • Confirm if we're chatting with the account holder or a 3rd party
  • Confirm the account number or full address with postcode

Once we have located your account, we can then go through security. 

Thank you

To: Forum Team Katie_WT
Sent: ‎25-10-2019 18:09

Hi Katies,

Here's the requested information:

Full name: Derrick xxxxxxxxxxx

Account holder: Derrick xxxxxxxxxx

You are chatting with the account holder.

Account number: xxxxxxxxxxx

Address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks,

Derrick

Katie_WT Forum Team Katie_WT yesterday
Thanks for popping back Derrick - now I have located your account, please can you let me know the 2nd, 5th and 7th characters of the memorable word we have listed on the account so we can pass security.

Once we can chat freely about your account, I'll be able to check if we can downgrade your package for you at a price that you're happy with.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers

Sent: ‎28-10-2019 18:55

Hi,

The 2nd, 5th and 7th characters are: x x x

Forum Team Katie_WT 19 minutes ago
Hi there Derrick,

Thanks so much for popping back - I can confirm that the characters you have provided do indeed match what we have listed on the account and as such can chat freely.

So, I have had a look at your account and we can change you to the Mixit bundle (+Drama Pick) with 100Mb broadband and Talk weekends. We can also keep your welcome discount offer. The package cost would be £48

We would be unable to give you the Amazon Prime offer as this is for new customers only. This is not an offer that is available to any existing customer - I am sorry.

If you choose to go ahead with the disconnection that is already been booked, you would need to wait at least 30 days after the account has closed to be treated once again as a new customer. We are unable to promise the offer you want will still be available after this time.

Do let me know if you'd like to go ahead with the package change or if you are happy to keep your disconnection booked. You can of course also choose to stay with your current package.

Thank you

Sent: ‎29-10-2019 16:08

No. That's EXACTLY the same price (£48/month) as I'm paying now for the service I don't want.

The service I want is £38/month, as specified on your site:

clipboard_image_0.png

38PoundsPerMonth.png

(*note: uploaded images don't seem to work on your site, but I'm trying again just in case...)

It's a "shame" (on Virgin Media) that they don't give their (wage paying) customers their offers for "new" services.

I will wait the 30 days, and start again, or hopefully find a better provider.

Thank you so much for all your help!

!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry you feel this way derrickr. What Katie has advised you is correct.

unfortunately it will be 3 months from the disconnection date before you can sign up for a new deal with us not 30 days. 

If you wish to call our sales team 30 days after disconnection to see what offer's are available too you you can certainly do this.

Thanks Jodi

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I'm sorry I feel bullied too: A new customer that on day 2 of the 14 day cooling off period changed my mind, tried to get another package and was told I couldn't for 5 days, then 30 days, and now you're telling me 3 months.

Having worked in similar corporate environments, I know you CAN do whatever you like e.g. change to my preferred option, but you're obviously choosing to make this as difficult for me as you can.

All this, just because I chose to exercise my rights within the (practically useless) cooling off period.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My understanding, according to Virgin Media Ts&Cs, is that the 14 day cooling off period allows you to CANCEL, not change your mind.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that helpful answer.

Would you happen to also know what the timescale is for a new customer to be treated as a new customer again?

i.e. I cancelled my service on day 2 of the 14 day cooling off period, and was initially told that I had to wait 5 days, then I was told 30 days and the last correspondence from Virgin above now states 3 months. I've tried trawling through their myriad of Ts&Cs, but can't find any definition for a new customer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi derrickr,

You'd need to leave it three months before returning as a new customer.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos