Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Stuck between a rock and a hard place

Hi

I have been a loyal customer to virgin since they took over from telewest many years ago. My personal circumstances have changed drastically over the past few months and to cut a long story short, as a single mum I have no disposable income and barely enough to put food on the table. 

I called the virgin team a couple of months ago to try to find ways to reduce costs and as a result, entered a new yearly contract. I have reached the point where I can no longer keep up payments and contacted them to request cancellation and have been told this will incur charges of £200 plus.  I explained my personal circumstances but there was not an ounce of compassion. I am sick with worry about covering essential bills. 

Has anyone else experienced similar? I know they have there own guidelines to follow but would have hoped there eould be some humanity shown. Especially during these difficult times 😪

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Stuck between a rock and a hard place

There is a page on early disconnection fees here which should help you calculate costs depending on how long your contract still has to run

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early...

which also advises a cap of £240.

There is also a dedicated page for payment issues here (expand and read all sections to see what is available)

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-missed-payment

and a number for the collections team at the bottom of the page. The general wisdom on the forums is that phoning VM early at 08:00 is most likely to be the time to be able to get through.

Being proactive about your situation is the best approach, as you are doing.

The forum team do not usually deal with billing matters but may be able to point you in the direction of other sources of help, if they pick this up, or one of the other forum users may be able to offer further advice and information.

Hope you manage to get something sorted out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@evm00002 wrote:

Has anyone else experienced similar? I know they have there own guidelines to follow but would have hoped there eould be some humanity shown. Especially during these difficult times 😪

whilst your reasoning seems genuine, what is stop other people abusing such humanity to get out ot contracts without paying early termination?
you agreed a new contract knowing the minimum term and what would be involved should you be required to exit it early.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for the post Evm00002 and welcome to our community.

We're sorry to hear of the circumstances, we're not able to put through package changes over the forum but you can call on 150/0345 454 1111 and request to speak with our collections team who can put you on the basic package if needed and can also organise a payment plan for you.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos