Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Street cabinet connection query

I have a further query re the street cabinet outside my house.

I recently received an offer from Sky for their Essentials package of fibre broadband, free UK telephone calls (including line rental) and TV for £33 per month. As this compared very favourably with my current Virgin Media package of £69.42 per month, I was interested in finding out more as you can imagine.

When I contacted Sky they said for some reason their database showed that they were unable to provide fibre broadband to my house whereas they could to all my neighbours in the street. They suggested I contacted OpenReach to determine why this was the case. 

I was informed yesterday by the Fibre Enquiries team at OpenReach that there was no PSTN line (Copper line) installed to my house unlike the connections to all my neighbours' houses which do have copper lines. They also said that they will only be able to check Fibre Broadband Availability once my address is reflected as a Gold Address in their records and that the process to convert my address into a Gold key address can only be initiated by my ISP. OpenReach suggested I contact my ISP (yourselves) and order a telephone line.

As my current Virgin Media contract includes line rental I am at a loss to understand what is going on here and why I am paying for line rental if OpenReach say I don't have a telephone line according to their records?

Please can you therefore confirm

• how this situation arose
  • why is the cabinet connection to my house different to the others in my street
  • is the connection from the cabinet to my house fibre whereas the connections to my neighbours' houses are copper
  • what can be done to rectify it so I can at least consider other broadband providers and not be restricted to Virgin Media
  • why I am paying line rental

Regards

Stephen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Street cabinet connection query

Hello

There is some confusion here, first of all Virginmedia do not use OpenReach infrastructure, so they have no control over what openreach have your address down as, the only way to get your copper line installed would be with a company which uses the OpenReach infrastructure.

Your phone line is not using the OpenReach system and Virginmedia cannot change the details on the OpenReach database.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks