cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still being charged three months after ending service

Anonymous
Not applicable

As I was moving home, I contacted Virgin Media to end my broadband service in April. I received confirmation that my request had been received and my remaining balance had been paid. My service ended on the agreed upon date. I returned the Super Hub equipment. I moved out of the property.

I have been receiving emails every month since, informing me that I am continuing to be billed for April, May and June for a service I am not receiving. I've tried phoning but I've just been placed on hold, and then eventually disconnected.

Today, I was shocked to receive a letter from a debt collection agency demanding payment on Virgin Media's behalf. (Incidentally, the letter was sent to my old address, if my neighbour had not been collecting my post from the new occupants of the property, I never would have received it)

I was a customer of Virgin Media for 15 years (and NTL before that). I’m incredibly annoyed that this has been allowed to happen.

Please can somebody help me?

4 REPLIES 4

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I've marked that for the forum staff, they should be able to sort that out.  Bear in mind that you don't just want the debt cancelled, you need the company to make good your credit history (check it, you'll find VM have marked it with a payment default). 

In the circumstances, I'd also suggest you should demand a goodwill payment for the nuisance and stress.  I'm sure cancelling the "debt" and sorting out the credit history entries will be done, but if the company don't come up with an acceptable compensation offer, then you should raise a formal written complaint, and if that doesn't get a good result, use the industry arbitration scheme CISAS.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi abcdefgh3, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue with this. I will need to have a look at the account to see what has happened here. In order to discuss details with you, I will also need to pass data data protection with you. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Chiny
On our wavelength

Aha, perhaps you could also help me as I am in the same position.    My contract ends soon, and I have today been issued with a new bill for a period starting 11 days after the contract end date.   I have phoned and got nowhere sensible, with the VM rep unable to help.

To avoid inevitable problems, I'd like confirmed:

(a) end date of contract,

(b) assurance I can cancel my direct debit without threats of debt collection agencies.

Basically, I'd like VM to honour their email saying "We'll do all we can to make sure your disconnection goes smoothly."

Hi Chiny, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you have decided to leave Virgin Media. 

When you give your 30 days notice to disconnect, the account will continue as normal until the disconnection date. This means your billing cycle will also continue as normal. 

On your disconnection date the services will stop and a final bill will be produced a few days later. This will include any refunds, adjustments and charges. If the overall amount shows as a charge, you'll need to make this payment via a credit or debit card. If there is a refund showing from where you have paid for services past your disconnection then we will send you a cheque for that overpaid amount. 

If you would like me to check on the disconnection date for you as confirmation then just reply to the message I have just sent you 🙂

Take care, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs