Menu
AphidBanner
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Still being billed while having zero service

So for the last 2 weeks I have had zero broadband, TV or phone service due to engineers cutting off my cable and they were unable to pull a new cable, which is now booked in for 05/06/21. Previous to this my service intermittent for about 4 weeks, broadband would randomly disconnect, on demand service would too. Had 3 engineer visits that couldn't solve the problem until finally a senior engineer came and found my cable outside my house was damaged. As I have no service I contacted live chat , as I couldn't ring from virgin phone as it was off and I certainly wasn't paying the mobile charges to call up - to see If I could put my bill on hold until reconnected and eventually got the answer that it could. I've just no had an email saying my bill is ready and it's as normal , full price. Not happy at all, paying for complete service and getting absolutely nothing. I dont even know if this is the correct place to air my frustration but hopefully there's someone who sees this who can help me out

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Still being billed while having zero service

Sounds like a VM communication omni-shambles which are described on here quite often.

Not heard of a bill being put on hold before.

Check the details here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

and here

https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/automati...

for the standard VM compensation scheme. You need to read all the T&Cs and see how it applies to your situation. It is often not quite as 'automatic' as the name implies and you may have to chase up to get it applied as described and in full. Manner of reporting (by phone or an online test) seems to be important as to when the start date is counted.

I have read some mentions on the forums recently of customers being offered mobile dongles for extended delays in providing a service. Not sure how commonplace that is though.

Hopefully one of the VM forum team can speed up the process for you. They normally respond on here within a week and usually quicker than that.

0 Kudos
AphidBanner
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for taking to time to help will my issue. I'll have a look at those links you've sent.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
AphidBanner
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I also have screenshots of the online chat between myself and the virgin media representative detailing what they confirmed with myself should they be needed. I won't upload them here though due to sensitive information. 

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Having screenshots is good evidence of what VM offered you previously. Compare what you think you should be entitled to under the official VM compensation scheme versus what they have offered you via a break on your monthly payments and see which works out better for you. Be prepared to argue your case. Having an intermittent service followed by a long period of no service sounds like a real pain. You should be suitably compensated for the down time.

Keep good records of any comm's etc. with VM. What VM say, and what VM do, often turn out to not be the same thing!

Wait for the VM forum team to respond here. They are normally the best support channel of VM to get a useful outcome IMO.

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'd say don't expect much from the auto-compensation scheme - if you read it, it's full of loopholes and restrictions, and personally I believe that it is applied as comprehensively and effectively as VM's systems do many things (ie badly).

I would keep all those records, wait until you're reconnected, see what your bill then shows, and unless there's a credit of generous proportions, I'd recommend you raise a formal complaint with VM, using the online complaint in My Virgin Media (not by phone), asking for compensation under the headings of 1) Original poor connection, 2) Current complete loss of service, 3) Time wasted interacting with VM staff, 4) failure to resolve promptly, 5) any unkept promises regarding discounts or compensation.  Only you know the value you'd put on that, but based on what you describe I suggest a figure of three months normal monthly rate, +/- as you see fit, and in the complaint name that price, and insist that if VM will not agree to and action that, you require a "deadlock letter" for the purposes of escalation to industry arbitration scheme CISAS.

Expect that complaint to handled VM's customary care and diligence, but it is a necessary step if you then need to escalate to CISAS.  As I'm suggesting a formal complaint and probable escalation to CISAS in due course, I will flag this for staff to comment.  They'll do their best, maybe they can step and and get an outcome acceptable to you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi @AphidBanner

Welcome to our Community Forum! Thank you for your first post, we really appreciate it!. 

I am really sorry to hear of the dispute over the billing as well as your service downtime. I am more than happy to clear this up for you today.

Our Automatic Compensation is only paid out for full loss of service, not intermittent service. As per the link attached, this would only be paid if the fault isn't fixed for 48 hours after reporting it to us at £8.06 per day. It would also only be applied when the fault is resolved.

In addition to your other issue; unfortunately, we cannot put bills on hold I am afraid. Apologies if this is what you were advised.

Please let us know if there's any further support you need.

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
AphidBanner
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi , thanks for your reply. I do have full loss of service and have had for just over 2 weeks after the engineer had to cut off my cable. Virgin media should be well aware of this so why am I still being billed when you currently are not supplying me any service whatsoever?!?!?

0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi @AphidBanner

Please do not send Private Messages unless instructed to, as this is against Forum rules. We are an online only team, therefore not able to arrange or make calls from here. Apologies.

As per the Automatic Compensation link above in my previous reply, this is paid after the fault is fixed. Billing will be as normal in the meantime. I am sorry that this is not the resolution you're looking for, but this is the correct way it's applied.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

News that the OP's previous offer of a payment holiday is incorrect comes as no surprise.

However, if I have understood the situation correctly, the OP has been without any service for 2 weeks already and is not going to get re-connected for another 5 weeks (a deadline which is also likely to be missed based on the past history of the OP's case and other similar posts on here).

Is there nothing else that VM can do to assist the OP in the meantime? The offer of mobile data dongles has been mentioned recently in other topics for delayed installations. Or the possibility of connecting to an adjoining VM feed temporarily until the new cable is installed?

I think if I was the OP and looking at 7 weeks of no service, and no further assistance at all from VM, then I would be putting my efforts into finding another supplier pretty quickly.

0 Kudos