Menu
bransons_anus
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Speed and intermittent drop out issues: A valid reason to cancel without charge?

We suffer speeds as low as 3-7mb, and intermittent drop outs, every day, and have done (and complained to them about it) for over 30 days, but Virgin have told me they don't give any speed guarantees and only accept total loss of service as a basis for agreeing to cancel our 100mb fibre contract and waive the £211 early cancellation fee. The guy offered me some sort of smart box bolt-on for an extra £5 a month instead, and said that therefore my complaint isn't 'unresolved' - I was just unwilling to accept their resolution! Otherwise, I have to just live with it and report the state of the buttons on my router each time (daily) that it happens. I'm about 3 months into an 18-month contract, so I'm trapped otherwise!

Question: Does anyone know of a basis for getting Virgin to agree to waive the termination fee, since apparently interrupted and poor service is irrelevant?

0 Kudos
Molly_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed and intermittent drop out issues: A valid reason to cancel without charge?

Hi @bransons_anus

Thanks for your post. I'm very sorry that you've been experiencing slow speeds for so long and that are customer services have not helped you adequately as of yet.

Have the agents offered any further advice on improving speeds or running diagnostics on your hub to resolve this?

Please could you also confirm whether the speeds you have recorded are via WiFi or ethernet cable?

Just to clarify one thing here - we do offer speed guarantee on wired connection. You can find out more about the ranges to expect with your package at our Speeds Explained page.

Our Speed Policy  also states that continuous low speeds may result in wavering of the Early Disconnection fee, not just loss of service as you have been advised This section reads:

"If the download speeds to your Virgin Media Hub falls below our minimum download speed guarantee for three consecutive days (continuously or intermittently) and we’re unable to fix the problem within 30 days, you may be able to leave your contract without paying an early disconnection fee. That goes for new customers, or existing customers who change their broadband services on or after 28th February 2019."

In this case, I would advise you to record the speeds you are receiving via a wired connection using an ethernet cable to a laptop or computer, as this is how we measure our advertised speeds and keep us informed of the speeds you are seeing.

Let us know if you need any further help or advice,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
bransons_anus
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed and intermittent drop out issues: A valid reason to cancel without charge?

You talk a lot about speed but not a single mention of the drop outs and intermittency of the service. One thing you could perhaps do for me is delete this thread I've created (or point me in the right direction as to where I can do this), as it's a duplicate. Thank you.

0 Kudos