cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solutions for ’Passing the buck’, ’failure to fix’, ’unfair compensation’ ‘tried to ring you’.

cosmicgw
Tuning in

Passing the buck. One would expect that when you tell any part of an organisation about your problem they will pass it to the correct department for a solution, but this is not true at Virgin Media.  The VM complaints policy seems to be; use lots of sympathetic words and pass the problem back to you, with recommendations you play telephone tag [wasting your time and your phone bill] chasing other VM departments until you give up in frustration. 

People in this endless loop should keep good records of what VM say they will do and what VM actually do. Include notes of wasted time and costs, then plan to use the VM automatic compensation scheme which promises '£5/day if the installation is not completed' and £7/day for total loss of phone service.    

Note 1. The VM policies include a promise that "compensation is applied as a rebate to your next invoice AFTER THE FAULT IS FIXED".  Be prepared to argue this is a grossly unfair policy that benefits only the VM cash flow position as they continue taking your money during their failure to perform.

Note 2.  All your contacts with VM should use recorded delivery letter requesting a written response to your home address.   

VM will respond with undated letters to the site address containing lots of sugar coated double talk such as the following examples which I have received multiple times in relation to my ongoing problems which have existed for over 12 months. 

”We also tried to ring you but couldn’t get through”  [ A cleverly worded untruth as even a computer can leave messages on my 24/7 answer phone ] 

"We always try to give you the best service we can"  [ So in my case, they are not trying very hard, or their best service is 'none' ] 

"You can be confident that we'll do everything we can to ensure that it is put right"  [ My problems are simple, yet 12 months later I have not been put right ]

After a few months, or when appropriate, you should apply to Money Claim on Line for compensation.  [ Note £5/day adds up and 12 months is £1,820 ]

In my case I am also claiming for my wasted time and expenses and I look forward to a Judicial view of the VM business model.

4 REPLIES 4

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

There's certainly a lot of evidence in this forum of customers struggling with buck passing, failure to take ownership, and poor handling of complaints, but that doesn't mean you'll get what you hope for.

You might get lucky in court with MCOL, but bear in mind that your case could be dismissed if you haven't made use of alternative dispute resolution procedures, in this case CISAS.  And since CISAS is free and with no risks to you at all, and doesn't stop you then using the courts, it's unwise to go straight to legal action.  In legal action you need to know the basis of your claim in law, have evidence to support your case, and you need to accept the risks that your case is dismissed, and you lose the court fee.  And the risk that if your case is heard and lost, then over and above the court fee you may have to pay any legal fees if VM defend the case and win. 

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums cosmicgw, and a very warm welcome to you!

We're terribly sorry to hear you've been far from impressed with our customer services and indeed the services that you have been supplied with. 

We take your feedback on board and will certainly aim to improve our business model moving forward.

Can you please advise me if we've issued you with a deadlock letter to take to CISAS and/or Ofcom for a previous complaint raised, or are you seeking to raise a fresh complaint in relation to the services?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi Andrew,

You are right to be cautious, however I made multiple complaints by letter and messaging with no useful result.  

My installation has never been completed, so the legal basis of my claim is 'Breach of contract' as VM has not installed the contracted service to normal professional standards. 

My understanding of small claim rules, are that each side pays their own legal fees win or lose, so I only need to worry about the claim fee.   

Thanks for coming back to us and sorry again for the level of service that you have been given so far @cosmicgw.

As my colleague asked, can you please advise me if we've issued you with a deadlock letter to take to CISAS and/or Ofcom for a previous complaint raised, or are you seeking to raise a fresh complaint in relation to the services?

Regards,

Steven_L