cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silly broadband cost

PowStu
Joining in

Just had an email to say that this month's payment has been sent to Virginmedia.  Shocked at why I am now paying £52 for 250mb broadband!  No phone or TV....that's plain old broadband.  My work colleague gets 1130mb for less than that!  Tried chatting online to them but was holding for ages and never got to talk to anyone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@PowStu - Every time my contract is due to expire and my price is due to rise, I cancel. After a few days somebody always gets in touch and offers me the same or better package for the the same or less money. When I accept, I set a new reminder for when the new contract will end.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bluff and I am prepared to leave. I have done so in the past and even though on paper by broadband with BT should have been 4x slower, it was actually a much better, more performant experience.

The last time I renewed, I had a similar experience to you, they offered me a cheaper package but only if I took a SIM card. I agreed, threw the SIM card away when I got it and set the reminder to cancel.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, PowStu.
Thanks for posting on our help forums for the first time and for joining the VM community.
We're glad to have you on board with us, a warm welcome from the forum team! 🙂

Sorry to hear you're not happy with your package price currently, we do not deal with package changes over this forum however we're happy to do our best to assist you.

Could you please tell us if you're currently in contract with us? 
Has your agreement expired or is there another reason for the price change you've noticed?

If your 18-month deal has ended and in order to make a change or find a new one that suits you, please use this link here where you'll see deals and offers available to you and check what's the price you can get.

You can also try our live chat there, or call our team at 0345 454 1111 so we can help out. 
Another way to reach us in regard to this is our WhatsApp support via text at +447305 327 112, if that suits you better than a call or chat.

Please, tell us how you get on and if you need more advice.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

PowStu
Joining in

Just checked the latest bill on the website.  Looks like I've just come out of contract as it was started 18 months ago.  It says on there it was supposed to go up to £45 so I don't know where this £52 has come from.  I'll follow your link and have a look...

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks and please do let us know if you face any issues with this process, PowStu. 🙂
We'll be here to help you.

Adri
Forum Team

Had a chat on WhatsApp.  Went as expected.  Just interested in selling me higher speeds and SIM cards.  I just want my existing broadband speed at a reasonable price.  

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey, PowStu.
Thanks for this update, although we're sad to see you didn't find what you're looking for.

Our team may have suggested those deals as the best value option so you get to keep your price low, if the 250MB broadband deal is not being offered at a price of your preference.

Did our WhatsApp team offer a quote for both options, as in broadband only deals as well as bundles including O2 mobile SIM?

Also, have a read here about our new Volt deals and benefits for further details on what we offer when you opt in for a mobile SIM from O2 and our cable services combined.
We can provide excellent support and big discounts when switching to a Volt bundle, should you wish to consider this option.

If you're not happy with any of the offers available, you may consider other options such as downgrading or cancelling however we'd hate to see you go.

Let us know if this helps.

Adri
Forum Team

PowStu
Joining in

The only options offered were with SIM cards - no broadband only.  If I didn't take the SIM then the cost for only broadband would be higher than both together.  I guess being a customer for over 20 years doesn't mean anything.

Morning @PowStu 

Thanks for coming back to the community.

Give the retentions team a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111 option 4. 

They'll be able to check for broadband only deals. 

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

@PowStu - Every time my contract is due to expire and my price is due to rise, I cancel. After a few days somebody always gets in touch and offers me the same or better package for the the same or less money. When I accept, I set a new reminder for when the new contract will end.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bluff and I am prepared to leave. I have done so in the past and even though on paper by broadband with BT should have been 4x slower, it was actually a much better, more performant experience.

The last time I renewed, I had a similar experience to you, they offered me a cheaper package but only if I took a SIM card. I agreed, threw the SIM card away when I got it and set the reminder to cancel.

PowStu
Joining in

I've just given them a ring as suggested.  It was a call I was dreading to be honest as I was having flashbacks to the last time I called.  But, the person was very nice and got me back to just broadband on the 39 I was paying before.  Pleasantly surprised 😀