Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Services being disconnected by new home buyer

I've recently received a phone call from an overseas call centre belonging to Virgin, advising me that my services are going to be disconnected at the end of September as the person buying my home has asked them to connect their services from this date, The problem is, we don't have any dates for completion, so with the selling/buying process in the UK, we may well still be living here at this time.  I tried to explain this to the call centre operative, but she wouldn't budge and insisted that she would be sending through the packaging so we can return our equipment and advised that our services will be ended on the 28th September.  This will cause us big problems as we both work from home.  We're trying to sort this out by calling Virgin, but does anyone have any advice that might be helpful? If our services end when they say they are going to, this will cause all sorts of problems as we both work from home at least 3 days a week.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Services being disconnected by new home buyer

I've flagged your post for the forum staff to advise as the specifics are not something the VM community forum can help with, and hopefully they will get this properly resolved privately.

Having said that, I'd recommend that you make sure you've tried using a wifi hotspot off of a phone, as that can be a life saver if and when VM's network fails.  Some networks are easier than others to amend your package online and at short notice, for example to add a one off data bundle, or flex the package up to a higher allowance for the month, so check all of this out now.  We've successfully survived a two day outage when WFH using mobile data and phone hotspotting.  Even if you're only getting 10 Mbps on mobile data, that will support email, intranet and VPN connections (slowly), as well as being capable of video conferencing. 

If you do end up without service because of corporate idiocy by VM, then you'd be able to use the hotspot, and then I'd recommend you initiate a complaint under Virgin Media's Consumer Complaints Code of Conduct, and if they won't give you a decent settlement in eight weeks, escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS.  Hopefully that won't be necessary, as it's slow and tedious, but no point in you ending up out of pocket, is there?  Moving house is always a huge amount of hassle, but you've got a year to complain about this and get it to CISAS, so (in this worst case scenario) you wouldn't need to panic to get the complaint submitted.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Teri_R_B,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear of the situation. 

In this instance if the account holder does contact us to advise they don't want the services disconnecting, any pending disconnection should be cancelled.

I've popped you over a private message so I can get a few more details from you to take a look. (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice. 😊

0 Kudos