Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sent cancellation letter today

Hi all,

We're moving house next month, and I originally intended to take broadband with me (we're out of contract), but when I saw the prices on the new contract (£43 a month for just internet!) I decided to cancel instead. I tried to call up yesterday to do this, but got mysteriously disconnected when I explained to the call handler what I wanted. (TBF this could have been on our end I get terrible mobile signal... but odd timing... and they didn't call back. This was Monday 11am.)

So having read cancellation horror stories on here, I've sent the new contract with 'cancel' across it to their address in Hampshire as it says (under 14 day cooling off), and a letter requesting 30 days disconnection to the address in Swansea. No recorded delivery but I did get proof of posting.

At our new address we can get reasonably speedy fibre broadband plus a phone line with inclusive calls, and Sky Cinema, for £30 a month for a year.

Let's see how this goes!

(Edited for typo)

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sent cancellation letter today

@bai wrote:

So having read cancellation horror stories on here, I've sent the new contract with 'cancel' across it to their address in Hampshire as it says (under 14 day cooling off), and a letter requesting 30 days disconnection to the address in Swansea. No recorded delivery but I did get proof of posting.

Should a dispute occur then proof of posting is insufficient to prove notice was given. Use a signed for service instead to: (a) eliminate dispute over receipt of the letter; (b) know the termination date is 30 days from proof of delivery.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi bai, 

Welcome to our community forums! 

Sorry to hear your leaving us. I am more than happy to check the cancellation has been processed correctly for you. If it hasn't this is something we can do within the 14 day cooling off period.  However if the services haven't been installed you would need to give our pre installations team a call as we can't cancel pending installs. 

I have sent you a private message  to get your account details and check this for you. Please reply when you can 🙂 

Many thanks,

Hetty_R
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@用心棒 to my understanding that's a misconception about sending things in the UK, at least for certain legal documents. Awhile ago a solicitor advised me that for service of certain notices at least, it's better to use proof of posting: in England at least, letters sent through the royal mail are simply assumed to have been received 2 days later, whereas signed for is a risk because they can always refuse to sign for it. And it's more expensive! That's why government agencies etc don't bother using signed for, even for things like fines and parking tickets and summons.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You may well be right but in my experience having proof of delivery tends to nullify arguments over receipt.

0 Kudos