Menu
Bonz098
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Secondary account holder should be the primary one. How can I change it?

I'm trying to help my 94 year old disabled mother manage her account. But when I use her login info it shows it as a Secondary account. My father was the Primary account holder but he passed away over 2 years ago, and when I phoned Virgin the account was supposedly fully transferred to her by Virgin's bereavement team (a lady called Ratna). 

We can't see any bills online, or make full use of the other online facilities. However, Mum does receive monthly emails with the billing amount.

How can I make the account change - I've tried entering my Dad's old login info from his passwords diary, but nothing works, and his old VM email address is no longer in use either.

Thanks,

Colin

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Secondary account holder should be the primary one. How can I change it?

Hello Bonz098

Sorry to hear of the issues with your mothers account and getting it changed over from your late fathers name.

We can't resolve this here but do have a dedicated team available, you can call them on 0800 952 2302 or fill in this form virg.in/bereavement and a member of the team will contact you or your mother back to take care of this and make all the necessary changes.

Rob

GoodSamaritan
Up to speed
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bonz098,

have you managed to sort out logging in online? When an account is transferred over the new account holder takes on the online account at the same time. If the primary email was used to log in it can be changed very easily from VM end.

A quick call to customer services and they could assist you. Your mother would have to be with you to pass DPA first.

Kind regards

Has this post helped you out? say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Bonz098
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well it was kind of resolved, although not nearly as easy as suggested by the replies (but thanks anyway).

The Bereavement Team basically just passed me on to the Technical call centre (#151). So after some 50+ minutes of going around the houses with them we ended up reverting back to the Primary account with my (deceased) father's Username and a new password for logging in online, although it does at least now show as being in my mother's name and her email as the contact email address.

SUMMARY - It appears to simply be beyond the ability of VM to just change a Primary Account Username to the email address of an existing Secondary one.

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bonz098,

I'm sorry if it seemed a little long winded but we need to check certain aspects for security but I'm happy to hear that you're able to get into the online after speaking to our other Teams. Please let us know if there is anything that we can help you with.

Regards,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Bonz098
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Lisa. The long-windedness wasn’t to do with security, it was to do with the fact, as I’ve stated above, that your system doesn’t appear to allow a (in my opinion) very straightforward change of username. Or else the Technical guy I was speaking to didn’t know what to do. 
If I’m honest I’ve reached the point where I’ve achieved a result, albeit not exactly the result I hoped for, and I want to leave it there. But some customers might not be happy to find that they need to use their deceased spouse’s name every time they login!

0 Kudos
GoodSamaritan
Up to speed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bonz098,

The Primary Email can be removed and the secondary email assigned as primary after an account has been changed over due to a bereavement.

This must be very frustrating for you and understandably you may not wish a constant reminder every time you log in.

Your Mum now owns the account  and the online account and can request these changes.    

Has this post helped you out? say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos