Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Rolling Contract treated as a Credit Agreement

I signed up for the flexible rolling monthly broadband as Virgin were the previous supplier to this address and it was all already set up. I paid the £80 up front, was given a £50 credit to offset the start up costs as there was no work for virgin to do and the paperwork confirms that I pay for my services in advance each month.

This account has been added to my Experian report as if it is a credit agreement and I am in Virgin Media's debt. The addition of a 'new line of credit' on my file has thrashed my credit score to the tune of 48 points, and knocked me from excellent to good. All this on the cusp of my application for a loan to secure my next home. There is no credit facility on this account, you owe me money based on what I've paid and the cost of the services to date, I'm not in a contract nor committed to paying you any amount of money what so ever.

As it stands my acceptance chances for the loan I had planned to take have bombed from 95% to 0 and any other loans cost considerably more per month. I need someone to discuss this with me ASAP - either to admit fault and remove the 'credit agreement' from my file as my rolling contract is not a credit agreement or to close my account immediately so you can mark the account settled and repair the damage you have inflicted unnecessarily on my long term plans.

I've been having a bit of a trying time just trying to get anyone to speak to me about this issue.

Spoke for an hour an half on webchat, from which I believe a complaint was opened and I received a callback. My signal at home isn't great and I missed the call but called back on the number text to me regarding the attempt. This took me through to the general IVR menu which provided no option to actually get through to the complaint handler - I eventually spoke to someone in retention who sent the file back to the agent who called me but I've still not had a call.

Please can someone get me in contact with the right people.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Rolling Contract treated as a Credit Agreement

Hi Razorback722,

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the community forums. I'm very sorry to hear this has occurred, the team that will be able to retrieve this information and discuss this with you is the credit file team here: creditfileamendments@virginmedia.co.uk.

Thanks,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi Corey,

Thanks for the quick response, I've already emailed this team during my webchat conversation. I've done so again just now.

I also think I have an open complaint at the moment and have been expecting a call regarding this.

I really can't afford to go in circles or be delayed any longer.

To give you the background I have been saving, building my score and generally gearing my life towards moving onto my own narrowboat and attending university this year. I've so far protected this plan even through covid. I'm in a position where I have viewings booked for the boats I want, everything is ready to go. Yet Virgin have made it impossible to attain the loan I need, before this account was added to my experian early in the month I was in the process of shopping for and about to apply for the right deal. It was while doing these comparisons and suddenly finding I was no longer eligible for deals I previously was that Virgin had added this account as the equivalent of me taking out a new credit card.

In the fortnight since I first raised this issue, nothing has happened.

I need to get the loan now, the boats will sell. This mistake will have dramatic knock on consequences.

I appreciate this is not directly your, or any individuals fault, but I really really need someone to take ownership of this now and work with me.

Dean

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

further to the above, I've had an email response saying the team will respond in 10 days.

I raised this issue with Virgin more than 10 days ago. I do not have another 10 days

If I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere tomorrow I will be cancelling the service in the hope that closing the account may resolve the damage. I really don't know what else to do right now
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

credit account makes sense. you can get a debt with internet-only rolling contract.
If you cancel and do not return your hub you will be charged for it.

Its also possible that you may want to add services or upgrade at a later date. That doesn't trigger a credit check as you always get one when you sign up.

If you pay your bill it will have little effect to your credit score. In fact having services with payments on time helps your rating

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying, Razorback722,

Unfortunately this is something that is specifically limited to the Credit File Amendments Team as not many staff will have access to credit reports/records or be able to modify them. You've mentioned you've spoken with the team before, what had they advised regarding this?

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi  

I appreciate what you are saying; but I can get in debt with my water bill, gas, electricity or any other agreement I have. These are not uploaded to my credit file as the equivalent of a loan preemptively (which is actually how it is referred to both on the score and in the huge negative impact it has had). Had I done any of the actions you have mentioned I would not be aghast at finding my credit file decimated on the eve of applying for a loan.

Have you even read my posts? I have paid my bill, Virgin Media owe me money based on what I've paid and the services rendered, the terms of my contract actually state I pay for the services in advance of receiving them and this account is blocking my ability to get a loan I was eligible for prior to opening the account. 

If your solution is, scrap my long term plans and wait 3 months to start again, in the most unstable economic period I have lived through... thanks, but no thanks.

Corey,

I have been told someone will call me, I missed the call and I am still waiting to be called again. I have only been told 'this is not my department' by 3 different representatives of Virgin Media now, I used to work for British Gas in a similar role - I get the internal divides, but there is no excuse for days and days of being bounced from pillar to post.

Dean

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Good morning, 

I have checked here and it is something the credit file amendments team will need to help with, we cannot I'm afraid assist further with this via here

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked the thread to see that yesterday is the second time I have made contact with this team and I am still waiting for contact, with all the attached negative consequences of the delay I've highlighted in previous messages?

Can you please make clear what your advice is to do?

Are you suggesting I continue to sit here watching the best options for my next home sell one by one, with the clock ticking down on the house I am in completing and therefore being left homeless. While I send email after email to a team who only respond with an automated email asking me to wait 10 days? The ONLY thing preventing me from progressing are the actions of Virgin Media. 

Can you please attempt to put yourself in my situation and offer some help rather than fobbing me off, I appreciate it is 'not your department' but you are a representative of the company that has put me in this situation.

I am a Virgin Fitness, Money and Media member... and I can assure you I won't be by July if this continues.

Dean

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Further to the above I have had a response to my email.

The response did not even acknowledge my issue, I have been apologised to for not understanding that a credit SEARCH will show on my file and that Virgin cannot remove this as it is accurate that I took a product. The sum total of the email being, 'this was your fault sir please go away.'

I have no issue with the search.

It's the line of credit, I do not have a product on credit with Virgin. I am willing to pay everything up front an close the account. But I can't even get a single person out of 5 that I have now spoken to from Virgin to engage with me and work to find a solution.

Absolutely useless.
0 Kudos