Menu
jezport
Dialled in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Ridiculous price increase

I'm currently paying £51 per month for my service. Just got an email telling me my monthly payment was going up £4.00

All my other providers like EE for example didnt put their cost up, so why do Virgin thing such a high percentage price increase is acceptable in the current climate. Luckily I only have a month left on my contract so will shop around.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ridiculous price increase

VM aren't alone in price increases. 

VM customers will see the average price of their services increase by around 4% or £3.63 including VAT.

VM normally increase their prices by around 5%. Last year they froze prices so it's been 18 months since any price rises.

The following is from the bbc news article

BT changed it's terms and conditions last year <<< BT link >>>   to say it would increase broadband prices by 3.9% above the first CPI rate published every year, which this year is due in 16 days. BT's sister companies, EE and Plusnet, followed suit. And that means their prices are likely to rise by an even higher percentage than Virgin's. BT's prices will rise by 4.2% under its new rules, which it has confirmed it plans to stick with. 

Sky put their prices up twice last year yourmoney.com/  

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jezport
Dialled in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

So they froze it last year then put it up nearly 8% this year for me. Not acceptable.

FYI EE froze their price last year and only increased previous years by the rate of inflation.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@jezport wrote:

So they froze it last year then put it up nearly 8% this year for me. Not acceptable.

FYI EE froze their price last year and only increased previous years by the rate of inflation.

£1.68 / day to £1.81 / day 'Not acceptable'?

How much do you spend on water/electric/gas/other utilities?

Pointless thread considering you can 'Shop around'.

0 Kudos
machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

What is your service for £51?

it would be good to know what you are paying for

i pay 46 and also revived a 4£ increase notice today so it would go to 50

i have 200mb broadband and one v6 box with the full tv package but without sky movies or sports

are you getting more or less?

0 Kudos
jezport
Dialled in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I am on the same package with basic landline

0 Kudos
machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I agree that a 9% increase in prices is exceptional during a period of low inflation, and with no change in service- no new content..new channels... and unstable internet

This year I spent 500£ to update my router because the v6 is such a poor router and Wi-Fi hub, the new one (2x Linksys vélop mx5300) doesn’t require restarting and my coverage is stronger and more stable: so it has been a great investment... but no thanks to Virgin; so in reality my broadband charge is 46 to Virgin and 50 to Linksys 

it would be worth knowing whether anyone is paying less for their monthly service

0 Kudos
jezport
Dialled in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Couldnt get through on chat. No answer.

Couldnt speak to a human at accounts 

On the automated customer service options I hot the Leave Virgin option and was immediately replied that if I  stay I will get £4 off for 6 months by the automated reply.

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi jezport

Throughout 2020 Virgin Media has not put up the price of its packages so if your price has increased within this time, then this will be due to an agreed discount expiring. You should have received an end of contract notification which explained this. 

Chris

0 Kudos
jezport
Dialled in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

No Chris this was not an end of a discount, just a price rise. At over 8% it it unreasonable.

0 Kudos