Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Retentions - what to do?!?

Hi,

Just joined this forum as I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do...

We have been with VM for 3 years and have always been given what we thought was a good deal when it came to renewing. Our contract came to an end on the 19th June and the new price is an increase of approx £45 so I called through to see if anything could be done about this and was offered a reduction of approx £17 which would still be £28 more than our previous price. I asked for our contract to be cancelled so was told it would finish in 30 days time which was fine.

A few days later I received a call from a Virgin advisor asking if price was the only factor for us leaving. We had about 2 months without a landline due to a fault but despite this we were generally happy as the TV and broadband were fine, so I said that the price was the only factor. He then went through the details of our package (bigger bundle with Sky Sports & Cinema, both in HD, extra box, 200mb broadband, weekend calls). He said if he offered us the same package for £18.50 less per month than we had been paying, would we stay? This surprised me so I repeated it back to him - exactly the same package that we currently have for £18.50 less than what we were paying. He confirmed it back to me. I said yes, we would be happy to stay! He said he'd put that through and thank you for your time. I was very pleased with the phone call!

However.... when I got home I found that the Sky Sports and Sky Cinema weren't working. I thought that maybe the new subscription had to update or something like that so left it, hoping it would update overnight. The next day it still wasn't working. We didn't want to watch anything on those channels that night so I thought I would give it one more night to sort itself out as I know the call centres are struggling at the moment. The next day - still no joy. So I called up to say that for some reason they weren't working and was told that they had been removed from our package and that the rep who had called had only put notes on to say that the TV package was the bigger bundle, no mention of sports or movies... So because there were no notes on the file they wouldn't honour the price I was given and that they best they could do would be £7.50 per month MORE than what we had been paying previously - so £26 more than what I was offered on the phone previously!! They refused to budge on this despite my protestations about what I had been offered (which essentially is calling me a liar) so I asked to re-instate the cancellation. the lady processed this, but only from this new date so the 30 days starts again! And to make matters worse, she wouldn't re-instate the sky sports and movies to our package which had been removed without our permission! So we are now stuck with 30 days until cancellation without these channels, sports being the main reason for the original contract as my wife is a big football fan and this is a great time for watching the premier league with so many matches being shown!!

After cooling off I had a look online and saw there was an offer for the ultimate oooomph bundle online for £79 - I thought that as a last resort we could go for that. So I called back again today to see whether a different person would be more helpful and amenable. However.... this person offered the ooomph bundle for £89 as I am not a new customer and would offer us our original bundle for...£27.50 more then we were originally paying! So £20 more than I was offered yesterday!!

I am seriously bewildered at the service offered and don't know what to do. The originally offered deal was really good and by accepting it I have essentially lost Sky Sports & Movies and added a week to our cancellation timeframe. There seems to be no way to do anything about it - I asked to put in a complaint which the advisor did for me but said it would take up to 7 days to get an email confirming receipt and up to 28 days to get a response.

Any advice other than speak with my feet and leave?

Thanks and sorry for such a long message!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Retentions - what to do?!?

Read this thread.

For a whole slew of posts in the forum, seems to me that the sales and retention teams are playing fast and loose at the moment.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andruser,

Thank you so much for your reply, that is very useful and I will definitely be following your advice. 
The complete lack of interest shown by the 2 advisors at the call centre was so frustrating. I was polite and reasonable despite getting surprised and upset by their responses! 
The rep who called me on Thursday to offer me the deal called from a mobile so I don’t think there will be a recording of the conversation. 
But I’ll go down the written complaint procedure route next week, thanks again for the advice! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've seen this story before. It's happening to me at the moment. I'm just going to CISAS, VM sales and retentions team behave like cretins. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi JonesRones,

Firstly, I'd like to say that I am truly sorry for the overall poor experience you have had with your contract renewal and the service you have received. It's certainly not the experience we wanted you to have and not to the standards of which we aim to deliver.

I'd like to look into this for you in the hope that I can turn things around. I'm going to pop you over a private message so I can look into the details of the complaint and notes on the account.

Please find a message from me over at the purple envelope in the top right hand corner.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos