forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
hornblower
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Retentions ringing from a mobile?

Hiya I've cancelled my service and had first a phone call then an email from a imad zaman. My postcode and account number he is quoting is correct but I asked him to tell me what product I have and why I left he replied he can only talk to me on the phone and wanted me to ring his mobile so I terminated the email.  He is apparently on mobile as he is working from home. My house has had another call today the person again supposed to be from virgin wanted the full password on our account not letters my wife refused to give it. Now these people may be genuine as they have some info but I'm suspicious of the mobile and full password. Has anyone else heard of this guy please. I won't post his phone number or email in case he is the real deal. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Retentions ringing from a mobile?

With the large numbers of CS staff now working from home, this really wouldn't surprise me. The lack of CLI does seem a bit clumsy, but maybe VM have decided it's better for these calls to be made from "random" numbers than not made at all.

The outbound call security has been an issue as long as I can remember. On the occasions I've had unsolicited outbound calls from VM, I have refused to give any account-specific information until they satisfy me that they're genuine... and it's usually ended in stalemate. Some other companies I deal with, have a system of exchanging letters from the a/c password - I quote letters 2 & 4, they give me 1 & 3, for example. Only the two parties who know the whole password would pass this, but the password is never actually mentioned.

If I'm expecting the call and they can give me some nugget of info to confirm, then common sense can prevail to some extent. I would not be surprised if this isn't factoring in the process.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

hornblower
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Is anyone from the mod team free to answer this query please? Thanks in my job we use a program called avaya that allows, me to work from home and be logged into the company phone system so asking me to ring a mobile is ringing alarm bells 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure VM will be disclosing what software they use, and naturally will be a little cautious in discussing security processes... but I've asked forum/mod staff if it's possible to take a look at this thread and advise further.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
hornblower
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for passing this thread on its much appreciated  I have no idea nor want to know what software virgin uses but I only mention avaya as when I ring customers  the software rings from our company number and can come up on a customers phone my company name so they know whom they are talking to. No phones are involved just a headset avaya and a laptop. I'm sure virgin being a big tech company would have something similar and not rely on mobiles hence the query. And the amount of phishing calls are now, at epidemic proportions. 

apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

the phone system i support doesn't give out the mobile number it has 2 ways it can work.

1) a voip based cloud app on the mobile

2) the PBX will call the agents mobile then call the customer and bridge the calls. This way the agent never calls from there own mobile

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:

the PBX will call the agents mobile then call the customer and bridge the calls. This way the agent never calls from there own mobile

Mrs japitts works in back-office admin, and inability to make outgoing calls from deskphones is causing quite a few issues.

Personal phones are fine for team conference calls etc, but I can see this "bridging" technique would be an entirely workable method.

0 Kudos
GivingUpVM
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I had a similar call from VM via private mobile phone the day after I cancelled. I expressed concern and he told me that he could see I had cancelled my service and that he WOULD NOT be asking for any personal of financial information.

He offered me a new contract deal which I accepted. It took almost a week for the email from VM to reach me and it was incorrect so I tried calling him back. He did not respond to calls or texts all week (interestingly calls went to Giff Gaff answerphone!!).

I called normal 150 retentions. I gave them the mobile number and they called it while I was on hold and magically he answered them!

He has since responded to another text and once again I'm waiting for a corrected contract.

So no, it's not unusual to be contacted this way at the moment. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
hornblower
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you GivingupVM 

I just wanted to find out if this was happening as they are busy and it's a, genuine call from VM. 

I've cancelled Sunday and they have rung everyday since but being in the middle of 8 x  12 hour shifts I've not actually spoken to them. It just seemed odd to me that's all the mobile thing and not answering my query on the email, then Tuesday somebody rang demanding my mobile number. I haven't asked them to ring neither did I cancel for the price increase.

Cheers 

0 Kudos
GivingUpVM
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I cancelled 12/1 and received a call 13/1 with the new offer..... here we are 2nd Feb and it's still not resolved correctly :-(((((

0 Kudos