Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Request to cancel VM - isolated overseas and cannot access media or get through to VM

I am writing on behalf of my 84 year old, recently widowed father, who has been unexpectedly stranded with me in Singapore for several months because of the COVID-19 pandemic. It looks like he will be here for sometime longer. He had been aVirgin Media customer for many years but had been contemplating canceling his VM subscription because the cost had jumped by about  20% to nearly £100 per month. When, after my mother died, he came out to stay with us in Singapore and then realized he would be here for a while - he tried to cancel numerous times via phone, but could not get through, tried on the MyVirginMedia app and on his account management system which took him round in circles and gave no option to cancel. He has also emailed. As he pays via Direct Debit and he could not afford to keep paying nearly £100 a month for a service he can no longer afford, no longer wants and cannot currently benefit from, he had no option but to cancel his DirecDebit. He now keeps receiving emails from VirginMedia warning him about the consequences of not paying his bill. He finds these threatening and upsetting. We have tried every route we can to get through to Virgin and to cancel or suspend or at least reduce the cost of his contract but to no avail. Can anyone advise? 

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Request to cancel VM - isolated overseas and cannot access media or get through to VM

I have the same problem as you will see via the post above this.  I've also written to their chief executive Lutz Schüler, perhaps its an avenue you could explore.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Request to cancel VM - isolated overseas and cannot access media or get through to VM

Thanks - will try that!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

if you have not managed to cancel and have canceled the Direct debit that will not stop the contract. It will just build up a debt that will end up on his credit file and passed to a debt collector.

Make sure until you get it cancelled you keep paying

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The trouble is Virgin Media make it impossible to cancel in this situation. My father has already shelled out hundreds of pounds which he can’t afford on a service he doesn’t want, and cannot access! He has spent hours trying to phone, and going round in circles on the app and website, he has texted and even emailed the CEO - all without success. He does not want them taking even more money for nothing. It is causing him a lot of anxiety and distress. It really  is disgraceful !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

N. Other ways to end this agreement
1. In addition to your rights to cancel during the cooling off period, either you or we may end this agreement at any time (including during or at the end of any minimum period) by giving the other 30 days’ notice. You can provide notice and end this agreement under this provision by:

1. dialling 0345 454 1111 from any phone (for information on how much this call will cost from a Virgin Media home phone visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary); or

2. writing to Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Diamond Plaza, Daleside Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG2 3GG;

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If cancelling by post make sure to use a Sign for service to: (a) have confirmation of delivery; (b) record o receipt date as this is when the 30 day notice period starts. Consider also advising Virgin Media of alternative contact details making clear the reason, i.e. due to Coronavirus stranded abroad.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos