Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Removed TV from package, don't want new contract.

Hello, 

today I removed the TV option from my package as we do not watch it. I asked to keep our broadband and phone line as it is and has been for many years we only took the TV as it was on offer but do not need it. Our contract expired a couple of months ago.

I was told on the phone it had been removed, this is fine. However the email asks me to sign for a new contract. I do not want a new contract, I only removed TV from my package.

"Your contract is currently unsigned Please review and accept your contract before your services are installed."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Removed TV from package, don't want new contract.

'I do not want a new contract, I only removed TV from my package'

look at what the 'previous' contract includes. now look at what the 'new' contract includes.

the contract you did have, which changes to a rolling 30 day contract after the minimum term is no longer valid. it is a legally binding document containing three services, tv, broadband and phone. legally it becomes invalid as a change has now been made, ie the removal of the tv package. a new legally binding contract is correctly generated to show there are now only two services, ie broadband and phone.

if you decided to add tv again in the future, it would again generate a new contract. virgin's legal obligation to you now is to provide two services instead of three. you can't have an active contract which shows virgin's legal obligation to supply three services when you are now only receiving two services.

sky and bt do the same with regard to upgrading or downgrading as do most of the businesses i've been personally involved with on a professional basis.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ok I understand what you are saying.

However if I do not sign this new contract, then what? Do I continue to pay for just the phone and internet whilst remaining out of contract and free to leave at any time?

It also seems this new contract wants to lock me  into an 18 month contract, I want to remain on a rolling 30 day contract where possible. Or at the very least only be locked in for 12 months.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you leave it unsigned but use the services in it, after 14 days your acceptance is taken by use of the services.

As to the length, you need to ring up and discuss that / negotiate some terms including a length: as it stands you will be locked in to a new 18 month contract if you sign or not at this point. The other option is to cancel this change and you will go back to the previous terms/contract

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you everyone so far, can anybody clarify that 18 months is a new fixed term for a contract over 12 months? I really do not want to be locked into 18 months.

At this rate I will probably look to move to BT as they are offering a good deal which beats my Virgin deal with the same 18 month contract.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The term is what you negotiate. If you did not negotiate they will put you on the base.

ring them up and see what you can sort.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all, Virgin rang back today. Offered us a deal I am happy with and on a 12 month contract. I am very happy with the outcome 🙂

0 Kudos