cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduced Contract Ending soon

Lindajane59
On our wavelength

I've been on a reduced contract for the past 18 months which is ending on 4 Feb and my current monthly payment will increase by £52.  I want to change the package and reduce my costs going forward.  I tried a chat but the chat bot wanted to change to a whatsapp chat rather than connect me to an agent to discuss.  I tried that 18 months ago after initially speaking to an agent about my current contract and spent days getting whats app messages asking if I still wanted to chat, I'd replied "yes" and then waited for hours or more days for a response or to be asked again if I still wanted to chat, tried calling and finally gave up and tried the forum.

This time I declined the whatsapp due to previous issues and tried the other option I was given which was calling but none of the options eg. I'm moving, leaving, bereavement etc. let me me speak to someone about changing my package.  Driving me mad, I just want to either speak or chat to a person so that I can get this sorted.

19 REPLIES 19

jem101
Superstar

For fairly obvious reasons, VM don’t have a ‘I want to pay you less money’ option on the phone system, so it comes down to a game of bluff and counter bluff, you have to convince them that you are absolutely prepared to leave if you don’t get the deal you want (or something like it). So choose the ‘I’m thinking of leaving’ option, which should put you through to the retentions department where you can start the negotiations. Beforehand though, check what alternative suppliers can offer and at what price, have a good idea of what you want and the rough price you are prepared to pay.

Now remember the people on the other end, have probably been doing this for some time, they have heard every story under the sun, pleas about ‘loyal customer’ etc. cuts no ice whatsoever, in fact every single one of them is wearing the metaphorical t-shirt!

So if you can’t get a deal that you are happy with, then you absolutely need to insist on leaving and give your 30 days notice. There is a good chance that within that 30 days, you will get a call from the outbound retentions staff who will make one last and final offer to you. If this does happen, and it isn’t guaranteed, you have to accept or decline any offers there and then (hence the above advice regarding having an idea of what is acceptable to you), no, ‘I’ll think about it and call you back’, ‘need to ask the cat’s opinion first’, even if the agent agrees you can do that. In fact if you were to call back, it just reinforces the idea that you aren’t really willing to leave after all, and that ‘deal’ will no longer be available - and yes, it is perfectly legal!

So, it’s all a game really, do your homework first, see what other options are available, and go in fully armed.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Lindajane59 wrote:

<snip>

This time I declined the whatsapp due to previous issues and tried the other option I was given which was calling but none of the options eg. I'm moving, leaving, bereavement etc. let me me speak to someone about changing my package.  Driving me mad, I just want to either speak or chat to a person so that I can get this sorted.

Usual advice on here is to call first thing when the lines open (08:00, I think) for the best chance of getting through with least delay. Go via the 'thinking of leaving us' route to speak to 'retentions' about a new 18 month term.

As advised by jem101 though, do your homework first so you have an idea of what other companies are offering to new customers in your area so you can weigh up if the offer you get from VM is any good or not.

Thanks both for your advice, I'll check out the competition.  I work in the banking industry, we would never sell or try to persuade a customer to buy a product they didnt want or need.  I have actually been a customer of Telewest, blueyonder and Virgin for almost 30 years and I'd prefer to stay with them.  (Albeit ad you say that wint work as an  argument). It doesn't seem good customer service that I have to threaten to leave in order to get what I want. 

However if that's what I have to do.....

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Lindajane59, 

Thank you for your post. 

I apologise for the experience you've had here. In regards to upgrading your current contract going forward - this is something that would need to be handled by our retentions/loyalty team. The WhatsApp messenger can take up to 24 hours for a response, in this situation I always advise it's best to give the team a call on: 0345 454 1111, option 4 and then option 4 again - this would get you through to the exact team who can help. As you can appreciate call volumes do increase during peak hours of the day, so I also advise that calling early in the morning or later on in the evening, that's always best. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Morning Ryan

Thanks for your response.

I'll try that and see how I get on.

Kind regards

Linda

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

No problem at all, Linda - please keep me posted on how you get on with this. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Hi Ryan

Managed to get everything sorted.  Your agent Daisy was very helpful and was able to keep my costs as they are for another 18 months.

Thanks again for your help.

Linda

Thanks for coming back to us with the update Lindajane59, I'm glad that Daisy was able to get help out and keep your costs as they are for another 18 months 👍.

Have a great weekend 😊

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Hi

I recently changed my contract part of which included moving my mobile to 02.  I was asked if I wanted to retain my number which I confirmed.  I changed my sim over earlier this week but only realised today that my number has changed.  I called 02 to ge advised that I should have been given a PAC number to provide to them I  order to keep my number. I've checked all emails and texts and have not received anything, I dont recall anything being said on the call about it either.  I've been told by virgin that the account for the phone is closed so they cant provide a PAC number.  They will have to create a new temporary account which will take 7-10 days to reactivate my number before they can provide the PAC.

I'm furious, I've been  waiting for a call about a medical procedure but they will have been using the wrong number. And anyone else trying to contact me will have the same problem.

Is there no way around this I really gave to get this sorted a.s.a.p.  I'm assuming the call was recorded can someone check to see if this was mentioned at the time?