Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Rediculous renewal charge!!!

We're in the last 30 days of our contract and rang virgin today to change our package.

We were getting for £71.00
TV: Virgin TV V6 Box. powered by TiVo - Mix TV
Broadband: M350 Fibre Broadband
Phone: Line Rental - Talk Weekends

And have gone down to the following: TV: Mix TV - TiVo Monthly Fee

We were quoted £29.00 a month but were told that we could no longer keep the V6 box and they would send a TiVo box for us to self-install, fine.

Just had the email to confirm and what they didn't tell us was there would be a £65.38 charge for 'installation or activation'. Firstly, how can Virgin charge this?! We already have an active TV service, and they're sending the equipment for us to self install??

Calling them is a nightmare as we don't currently have a landline so each call is costing around £20 from a mobile, is there another way to contact them either by email or live chat??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Rediculous renewal charge!!!

Good Afternoon timberflake,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums 

We wouldn't seek to charge an installation or activation fee for a new set top box and based on the value of the bill at £71.00 this sounds more like it's a figure based on a partial months service until the new package comes into effect. 

Have you been issued with a bill that advised you of a partial month or if this bill does in fact state a activation and install charge?

Can you also tell me what number you've been calling to run up bill of £20.00?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

You’ve given away why you want to go down to TV only and why you will need to go back to TiVo.

Why not break your bond with Virgin Media Residential completely and get your TV from other sources?

Perhaps Now TV?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

The direct quote from the email is as follows, this is taken from the 'Thanks for making those changes' email:

Your new monthly bundle cost is: £29.00*.

Your next bill will be £69.18* which includes CR £25.20 to cover your changes up until your next bill period. There is also a one-off charge of £65.38 for installation or activation.

Then number we've been calling is 0345-454-11111 and is from a mobile so today we were charged around £20 for being on then phone for 30 mins

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Because we thought it would be easier to just renew on a smaller package, clearly not!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@timberflake wrote:

The direct quote from the email is as follows, this is taken from the 'Thanks for making those changes' email:

Your new monthly bundle cost is: £29.00*.

Your next bill will be £69.18* which includes CR £25.20 to cover your changes up until your next bill period. There is also a one-off charge of £65.38 for installation or activation.

Then number we've been calling is 0345-454-11111 and is from a mobile so today we were charged around £20 for being on then phone for 30 mins

In that case you should also be looking for a new mobile provider or at least a better tariff!

03 numbers are now charged exactly the same as 01 and 02,  they cost no more than calling a standard landline phone. Often there is no charge as it comes out of any minutes included in your allowance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that and I'm sure that's something we can look at when our contract is up but that doesn't really help with the immediate problem of Virgin charging me £65 for a self install of a box I didn't even ask for.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ridiculous renewal charge!!!

Well you did ask for it as the V6 will not work without Virgin broadband 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ridiculous renewal charge!!!

I have Virgin broadband, look at my signature, it's Virgin business. And in any event, the girl on the phone didn't explain that V6 only works with broadband and she certainly didn't say anything about a £65 charge.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Good Morning timberflake,

Thanks for the further information.

If you can please check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a PM from me, that would be great

Thanks

David_Bn

0 Kudos