cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New Broadband Social Tariff Package.

M0therNature
Tuning in

Applied for the new social tariff Essential Broadband Plus and was accepted, however the bill is NOT £20 per month, it's £28 per month plus an installation/ activation fee according to the email they sent me. Checked on my account and it is indeed £28 per month as stated on the new contract. How can they get away with advertising one price and charging a completely different price.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @M0therNature 

I've moved your post from the natter section as forum staff don't tend to look in that area

It's possible that the extra £8 is for a partial months service due to the way VM billing is set up.

Hopefully a member of the forum team will pick this up for you now it's in the accounts section.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @M0therNature 

I've moved your post from the natter section as forum staff don't tend to look in that area

It's possible that the extra £8 is for a partial months service due to the way VM billing is set up.

Hopefully a member of the forum team will pick this up for you now it's in the accounts section.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for that and I was credited due to the changeover being halfway through my old contract. The new contract does say £28 per month.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @M0therNature 

Does your new contract actually say Social Tarif package?

It's possible that a mistake has been made and you've been placed on the M50 Fibre Broadband (average download speed at peak 54Mbps) and Weekend chatter package. That's £28 a month for 18 months new customer pricing.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

In the Key Financial Information it says: Essential broadband plus but in the Fibre Broadband section it does say M-50 Fibre Broadband. The Service Bundle has a green tick under the broadband icon and a minimum period of a 1 month contract with a warning of a possible disconnection fee if cancelled before 23rd February 2023.

As a long standing customer I had to apply via their existing customer application form and don't see how they could have mucked it up. I've tried to sort it out via their web chat, then customer services and finally ringing them but have got no joy whatsoever. I'm not sure what to do now other than make a complaint and possibly refuse to accept the new router which is supposed to arrive today.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The £20 Social broadband tarif is for the M50 broadband, but it doesn't include the phoneline, so if your contract doesn't show the phoneline then it's the correct Social tarif.

I'm wondering if the extra £8 is a one off as you've changed package partway through a billing period.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/package-change 

It would be helpful if you could post screenshots, but blank out any identifying information such as your name, address, account number or email address.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Screenshot of Virgin Email - 00.pngVirgin Media New Contract - 24th January 2023 - 00.png

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @M0therNature 

That bill definitely doesn't look right to me as the Stream TV is free. The Essential broadband plus with Stream is only £20 per month.

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/low-income-families 

There would be a £5 delivery charge for the hub3 box, but you should have been informed about that.

You've received a credit of £5.59 due to changing part way through the billing period, but the new bundle costy should be £20 and not £28 per month

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey M0therNature,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your new package. I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Thanks Newapollo, I didn't request Stream nor am I interested in streaming services.