I have a question regarding my contract. The price is due to jump substantially at the end of my contract which ends on 29th May 2020. I have been trying to contact Virgin to either negotiate a better deal or possibly leave, but having no luck in contacting them. I keep seeing that I need to give 30 days notice in order to cancel, but is that still the case when my contract ends on 29th May? I got a letter from Virgin that states the below:
"If you decide to switch, you’ll need to give us 30 days’ notice by calling 0345 454 1111, but if you cancel after your contract ends on 29/05/2020 you won’t have any early termination fees to pay"
I would rather stay with Virgin as I have been with them for years but they keep jumping the price up year on year and I'm getting tired of it.
You can give 30 days notice in the 30 days before your contract ends, so (if you can get through) your soon-to-be-rolling-30-day contract would end around mid June. In terms of discounts, don't expect much, VM have mostly stopped that game. If you'll accept another 12 month fixed term deal for a paltry couple of quid a month that may be possible, but in some cases VM have just let customers leave rather than offer ANY discount. This is my advice on what to do next.
I managed to get hold of a Virgin Team member via web chat in 19th May. We discussed my options and the advisor was unable to offer me a good package for the price I was willing to pay. I asked the advisor to cancel my contract. He said he would put me through to the relevant person to sort. I waited 70mins for someone to come back to the chat to start the cancellation process. No one came back to me! As you can imagine in was not best pleased.
Anyway I decided to write them a letter instructing them to cancel my contract from the date of the letter. This was the 20th May. I sent it via Royal Mail Signed Delivery. They received it last Friday. I have had no call or email from them saying they are cancelling. My 30 days started from 20th May when I sent the letter. My last bill was today and they are taking the money on 16th June. Am I ok to cancel the direct debit after they take that payment?