Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Question Regarding Ending Contract

Hi,

I have a question regarding my contract. The price is due to jump substantially at the end of my contract which ends on 29th May 2020. I have been trying to contact Virgin to either negotiate a better deal or possibly leave, but having no luck in contacting them. I keep seeing that I need to give 30 days notice in order to cancel, but is that still the case when my contract ends on 29th May? I got a letter from Virgin that states the below:

"If you decide to switch, you’ll need to give us 30 days’ notice by calling 0345 454 1111, but if you cancel after your contract ends on 29/05/2020 you won’t have any early termination fees to pay"

I would rather stay with Virgin as I have been with them for years but they keep jumping the price up year on year and I'm getting tired of it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Question Regarding Ending Contract

yes you still need to give 30 days notice.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You can give 30 days notice in the 30 days before your contract ends, so (if you can get through) your soon-to-be-rolling-30-day contract would end around mid June.  In terms of discounts, don't expect much, VM have mostly stopped that game.  If you'll accept another 12 month fixed term deal for a paltry couple of quid a month that may be possible, but in some cases VM have just let customers leave rather than offer ANY discount.  This is my advice on what to do next.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies.

I managed to get hold of a Virgin Team member via web chat in 19th May. We discussed my options and the advisor was unable to offer me a good package for the price I was willing to pay. I asked the advisor to cancel my contract. He said he would put me through to the relevant person to sort. I waited 70mins for someone to come back to the chat to start the cancellation process. No one came back to me! As you can imagine in was not best pleased. 

Anyway I decided to write them a letter instructing them to cancel my contract from the date of the letter. This was the 20th May. I sent it via Royal Mail Signed Delivery. They received it last Friday. I have had no call or email from them saying they are cancelling. My 30 days started from 20th May when I sent the letter. My last bill was today and they are taking the money on 16th June. Am I ok to cancel the direct debit after they take that payment?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Does the bill include dates up to 20 June? If not, you can’t cancel your DD.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

the notice would be from the 22nd if that was when the letter was signed for. Also signed for doesn't; mean opened and processed.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My latest bill says the below:

Your package for the next period covers 27 May - 26 June

Still no contact from Virgin Media acknowledging my cancellation. Shocking service.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi josho1191

Thanks for posting. I am sorry you've not heard anything but I will be able to check the account for you and advise further via PM

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos