cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price increases

JamesB1
On our wavelength

Every year I have to battle with Virgin to keep my subscription price down. This year, with the increase being inflation + 3.9% it's going to be worse than ever and I can see myself looking for another supplier! Fortunately my contract doesn't expire till September.

When I took up my current contract, I thought it was a good deal. But the £10.38/month for my mobile became £25 with O2 and guess what, O2 are increasing their price by inflation + 3.9% as well.

The increase in mobile cost was offset by a drop in the cost of the Virgin package which included Netflix (and what a farce that was!) but I can see me reverting to Tesco's PAYG again.

Everybody expects prices to increase year by year but by a reasonable amount. In my opinion this year's increases are extortionate!

If I stay with Virgin, I will revert to the basic package and reduce the broadband speed. 

It is silly to be offered faster and faster BB speeds since once you get past a certain level it makes no real difference.

Finally I have loads and loads of channels I never look at: Sport ans kids stuff for example. why can't I choose what channels I want at a cost/per channel?

I hope it is not farewell to Virgin in September but, since the cost of my package is set to double, I think, it might be.

3 REPLIES 3

unisoft
Well-informed

@JamesB1 wrote:

Every year I have to battle with Virgin to keep my subscription price down. This year, with the increase being inflation + 3.9% it's going to be worse than ever and I can see myself looking for another supplier! Fortunately my contract doesn't expire till September.

When I took up my current contract, I thought it was a good deal. But the £10.38/month for my mobile became £25 with O2 and guess what, O2 are increasing their price by inflation + 3.9% as well.

The increase in mobile cost was offset by a drop in the cost of the Virgin package which included Netflix (and what a farce that was!) but I can see me reverting to Tesco's PAYG again.

Everybody expects prices to increase year by year but by a reasonable amount. In my opinion this year's increases are extortionate!

If I stay with Virgin, I will revert to the basic package and reduce the broadband speed. 

It is silly to be offered faster and faster BB speeds since once you get past a certain level it makes no real difference.

Finally I have loads and loads of channels I never look at: Sport ans kids stuff for example. why can't I choose what channels I want at a cost/per channel?

I hope it is not farewell to Virgin in September but, since the cost of my package is set to double, I think, it might be.

if you are within the date on your price rise email, you can cancel now penalty free before September. If you changed your package and agreed a new 18 month term in that 30 days instead, you have 14 days to still cancel or revert from when VM made the change.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JamesB1 wrote:

Pay-TV doesn't work this way - if people could select individual channels then niche ones would become unviable, so channels are bundled. There would also be possible commercial issues with charging for individual channels a-la-carte.

You've not said which TV tier you're on, but the only sports ones that are non-premium are Eurosport 1 & 2 (legacy Mix, and the current Sports Lite personal pick), and BT Sport if you're on top-tier.

You can review your TV tier using the chart at the bottom of https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv-edit/tips-and-tricks/virgin-tv-channel-guide 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@japitts wrote:

@JamesB1 wrote:

Pay-TV doesn't work this way - if people could select individual channels then niche ones would become unviable, so channels are bundled. There would also be possible commercial issues with charging for individual channels a-la-carte.

You've not said which TV tier you're on, but the only sports ones that are non-premium are Eurosport 1 & 2 (legacy Mix, and the current Sports Lite personal pick), and BT Sport if you're on top-tier.

You can review your TV tier using the chart at the bottom of https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv-edit/tips-and-tricks/virgin-tv-channel-guide 

Agree, but Stream has a better model for the customer in that any TV subscriptions are split better into differing bundles and 30 day notice only. Not 18 months or whatever left of a contract term.