Menu
machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Price increases during Lockdown- illegal?

I signed up for 18 month contract at 46£ (One v6 box, Bigger, 200mb broadband) just 4 months ago. Now during lockdown I have been told about a 9% increase, with non change in service; and inflation at historic low.

normally the option is to shop around; but would anyone during lockdown think they can easily switch providers, broadband is sooo fundamental that I can’t risk losing service for even 24 hours. 

effectively I have no bargaining position

i can’t see how this is a fair market system working, it is pricing gouging and opportunism by Liberty/Virgin

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Re: Price increases during Lockdown- illegal?

To quote from numerous pages around the VM website..

"What if you’re currently on an offer?

If you’re currently on a promotional offer with us, we will honour it. So that means your increase will happen when your offer comes to an end."

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Are you sure? 

Virgin’s other institutional con is the concept of discounts.

my ‘real’ charge is £83

discount £37

cost £46

if the real cost goes to £87 (83+4) and my discount doesn’t change then the new cost is 50£

i can’t see any other way to read my email

——

“Your bill will go up by £4.00 a month from 1st March”  is the title of the email

“We know a price rise is never welcome, but we’re constantly investing in our network to make sure you can keep doing everything you love online, on more devices. To help us continue this work, the price of your package will go up by £4.00 a month from 1st March”

why would I receive this message? Seems unambiguous and/or incompetent if the real meaning is no change

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 50
Flag for a moderator

its not illegal. And companies also need to keep making money.

You can still shop around install from other ISP are still going ahead. They are classed as one of the essential businesses to remain open
0 Kudos
machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 50
Flag for a moderator

It could be illegal

consider water and electricity, gas, when I switch providers the service isn’t cut off.

with broadband I may be able to get assurances but my experience is that there is a high probability of service downtime which is not acceptable at the moment, so I ‘can’ shop around but the risk of having days or weeks with no internet for schooling and work is unthinkable.

In that context the opportunism would be counter to Virgins govt license.

They need to make money but 9% increase during the lowest inflationary period with no change in service— I’d like to see the 9% pay increases the engineers are due to receive

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Hi machineghost

Changing prices is never an easy decision, which is why, unlike other providers, this is our first cable price change in 18 months. We know 2020 was a difficult year for many people and so we decided not to rise our cable prices last year. 

Over the last year our customers have been using their services more than ever, and data use on our network has increased by up to 95%. With many people working from home and relying on our services to keep in touch with family and friends, it’s been even more vital that we keep people connected.

We need to continue investing in our network to meet this demand and ensure our broadband service continues to deliver the fastest widely-available speeds in the UK. We’re investing more than £1bn in our network – helping to improve performance and reliability for our customers.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 50
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Not sure, VM use there own network so you can get a new provider before even cancelling vm.

Also there wasn't a price increase last year. No one moaned about that 😉
machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Except when I started my new contract in Sept. the new contract was negotiated because my previous discount was expired. So from my perspective the cost was going up at the time it was 20-30£.. You can argue that this was not a price increase but it was, so nice little virgin is regularly upping costs, dropping channels. 

instead my costs have been going up too 1)dropped money on a replacement router because hub3 was so unstable, 2)signing up to Netflix because Virgin doesn’t seem to invest in shows etc

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 50
Flag for a moderator

@machineghost wrote:

2)signing up to Netflix because Virgin doesn’t seem to invest in shows etc

Virgin is a TV plaform provider, not a broadcaster.

They carry broadcast channels and streaming apps that are operated by other companies.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Which begs the question why they charge so much, I just think these apologies from the company sound hollow, “we don’t do what Sky or Netflix do”

9% increase for nothing, during a pandemic for a vital service, having signed a contract only 4 months ago -