Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Price increase

Hi I wonder if anyone can help I recently decided to get an internet phone and ditch my virgin media landline now my price package has gone up I should have contacted virgin to negotiate any contract changes we are trying to save some money on bills as my wife was made redundant in October due to the pandemic the bill has gone up £30.00 not what I had in mind I have 2 tv boxes and 200 broadband I want to get rid of 2nd box as we have freeview on the tv and we don’t need it I know I should have spoke to them about any changes I just did not think

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Price increase

I suspect that VM have treated the change as a new contract at the standard (high) price, and you'll find that VM believe you're in an 18 month fixed term contract.  In order for the new contract to be valid, you should have been told the new price and the duration - if you weren't then the contract is not valid.  For any contract change there should be call recordings to confirm this, and if VM say there are not, then there's no basis of any contract change at all.

If you're within the 14 day cooling off period, phone up the retentions team (follow phone options for menu headings like "about my account" and "thinking of leaving"), to reject the new terms, see what comes of that (but don't agree to anything unless you're completely happy and the agent confirms price, bundle and duration of any new contract).

If you're outside the cooling off period and the price wasn't made clear to you, or the new 18 month term wasn't explained, then VM can't hold you to the new contract because you have not been provided with and knowingly agreed to major terms of the new contract (read this).  I'd suggest again phoning and explain the problem, keep it polite and friendly, but in this case state that you are rejecting the contract because major terms weren't explained, and you'll have to switch ISPs if this can't be resolved.  See if they can come up with anything good.  Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't, and they may have zero grasp of your rights under the Consumer Contracts Regulations.

If that call doesn't have a good outcome, then you will almost certainly have to engage VM's sometimes ropey complaints procedures to get the outcome you want, and even then I'd wager that you'll end up needing to escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS.   Whilst that is slow and cumbersome, the law is on your side so long as your recollection of the call is accurate.  If you need to engage the complaints process, whilst you should be able to reject an unagreed contract, negotiating a discount from that position will be challenging to say the least.  So you may wish to consider your options for alternative ISPs and to use the complaints process and (if needed) arbitration to simply seek release without penalty from the VM contract.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Price increase

@hagman777 wrote:

Hi I wonder if anyone can help I recently decided to get an internet phone and ditch my virgin media landline now my price package has gone up I should have contacted virgin to negotiate any contract changes we are trying to save some money on bills as my wife was made redundant in October due to the pandemic the bill has gone up £30.00 not what I had in mind I have 2 tv boxes and 200 broadband I want to get rid of 2nd box as we have freeview on the tv and we don’t need it I know I should have spoke to them about any changes I just did not think

Yep. That is exactly what happens if you drop a service after having all three, as you were on maximum discount, which you probably have lost about 60% of.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos