Menu
Helitron
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Price increase: questions

Dear all, 

I just received an email saying there will be a price increase from March 1, 2021 of £3.50 a month. 

They say "if you want to, you can change or cancel your package at any time before 11/02/2021, without paying any cancellation fees."

Now, my contract is a discount offer which ends on March 11, 2021, so my understanding is the price increase won't affect me until that date. But does that mean I can cancel my plan even now before the ending date? It's a bit confusing.

Let's say I wished to shop around and found another ISP, do I still have to wait the current contract to end and I do not need to call them to cancel anything as of now? I'm very confused.

Thanks a lot

Best, 

Andy

0 Kudos
Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Price increase: questions

Hi Andy,

Thank you for getting in touch with your queries regarding our upcoming price rise.

Any discount that you’ve been offered for the 12/18 months will still be honoured – so if you accepted a fixed price then you’ll receive that until the end of the discount period. This means, as you've surmised, that you would be affected by this price rise after your minimum term comes to an end. If you accepted a £ or % amount off, this will also continue to be honoured but you will see your price increase from the 1st March.

Any customer affected by the price rise has a 30 day "right to cancel" period if they wish to leave before their minimum term is up. This means that you can disconnect your services with us before your contract comes to an end without incurring any early disconnection fees. You would still need to give the standard 30 days' notice, but you could cancel without penalty.

If you do not get in touch, your minimum term would come to an end and you would move to a monthly rolling contract at full price (including the price rise).

If you do wish to move to another provider, you would need to give us notice as above and arrange to have your new connection set up. Please bear in mind that Openreach have just announced that they are scaling back new installations and will delay new orders which require an engineer visit until after 1st March. You may find that you could still be connected if you are able to perform a self-installation, but we do not use the Openreach network so couldn't give any further information on their new process or how it's being implemented by relevant providers.

Does this help you to understand a little better? Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Rachael

Helitron
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much Rachel.

What should I do if I want that, at the end of my current contract, my package goes to the cheapest option available? On my account there a button "upgrade package" but it doesn't work, when I click it there's a message saying " Oops! Something went wrong. Sorry, we’re unable to change your package online.", it's not like it is very easy to get in touch with someone, I have been trying since yesterday, this is really frustrating. Had I access to this myself instead of having to call, it would be so much easier for everyone.

Best wishes, 

Andy

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The "Oops! Something went wrong. Sorry, we’re unable to change your package online" message is extremely common when you have discounts or promotional deals on your account that the self-serve system can't handle.

You'll need to call through to C/S and speak to an agent to make/discuss any changes you want.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

karbon3k
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Year after year it's getting more and more farcical. Basically it means they add another month on top as I'm already paying £42/month. I.e. 3,5×12=42.

I've been a loyal customer for 10 years, and in the last 3 years they have gone absolutely mental with these ever-increasing increases. I haven't seen a payrise in the last 6 years, it's a disgrace they think people just grow money in their backyards.

Yeah, why don't I switch, because they are a monopoly in this area and they know it.

-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@karbon3k wrote:

Year after year it's getting more and more farcical. Basically it means they add another month on top as I'm already paying £42/month. I.e. 3,5×12=42.

I've been a loyal customer for 10 years, and in the last 3 years they have gone absolutely mental with these ever-increasing increases. I haven't seen a payrise in the last 6 years, it's a disgrace they think people just grow money in their backyards.

Yeah, why don't I switch, because they are a monopoly in this area and they know it.

doing nothing will just raise your bill year on year - ringing retentions may get you a better price - giving 30 days notice is likely to get you an even better price - they usually ring you with an offer they hope you wont refuse - take it or leave it though - a bit of a gamble but as i say doing nothing will just increase your price - loyalty means nothing and certainly wont get you a good deal

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - then "technical issues" - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

Tony
karbon3k
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Tony, that helped. I always call them, every year.

I forgot the letter after I wrote my post here. I called them earlier today, and when I went to the "leaving us" option, lo and behold, a pre-recorded message told me I would get a 3.50 discount for the next six months! I can't believe how cheeky these buggers are...

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi karbon3k, thanks for the message, the price increase is for both new and existing customers and allows us to make improvements to the service. I am glad that you were able to get things resolved. ^Chris. 

0 Kudos