Menu
geniushands75
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Prepping for Engineer Visit

Hi all,

I'm returning to Virgin after a number of years away and I want to be as prepared as possible for the engineer visit so there's no delays.  If there's anything extra I need, I'd like to make sure I have it when they arrive in a couple of weeks.

I wonder if anyone can assist with my following questions:

1)  Ideally, I would like to have my V6 box and router in different rooms - both for cosmetic reasons and so I can plug my PC into the router.  I understand that Virgin recommend a wired connection so I wondered if using Powerline adapters was an option.  If so, I'd buy them in advance.  Would anyone anticipate any problems here?  If there are likely to be issues, is it an option to do the reverse and use Powerline adapters to connect my PC?

2)  Does the V6 box require a special ethernet cable or will it be able to use an existing one I have in place (already threaded through fireplace wall)?

3)  How accommodating is the engineer likely to be with installation requests?  As an example, adding an extra external connection point in an upstairs room in case we want to rearrange the set-up in the future.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help offered.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Prepping for Engineer Visit

1) This is no problem, the technician wouldinstall powerlines if nessesary but usually wifi is fine.

2) Ethernet is not required, it can do wifi, did you mean HDMI?

3) This wont happen, its far too time consuming and the tech wont be getting paid fot it

Highlighted
geniushands75
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Prepping for Engineer Visit

Thanks for your helpful response.

For 2, I did mean ethernet as I was making the assumption the box had to be wired, but as you stated, it will work on wifi.

0 Kudos