Menu
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Porting out phone number: effect on price

I'm considering porting out my VM phone number to a VOIP provider and I'm wondering what the effect will be on price.  VM's pricing is opaque with customers paying various amounts for the same service, so it's far from obvious what the effect would be.

I'm currently on a 50 Mb broadband and phone package, paying £38 per month. VM's published price for just 50 Mb broadband, ignoring the various "special" bait-and-switch offers, seems to be £37 per month.  If I port out the VM phone number, this will automatically cease phone provision but I assume (can anyone confirm?) that broadband will continue uninterrupted.  But will the cost change?

I have no confidence in being able to elicit a sensible answer from the offshore call centre.  A response from one of the forum staff would be ideal but any experience or informed opinion would be welcome.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Porting out phone number: effect on price

Hi bromham

Thanks for posting on our community  🙂

If you decide to remove your landline from your package this will not affect your broadband services.

The only thing you will notice is the price will alter. With our packages the more services you have the bigger the discount will be, if you remove one of the services you will lose your discount accordingly.

You would need to speak to our cancellations team on 150/0345 454 1111 option 1, option 4 then option 5 to get the landline cancelled from your account as we cannot do this through our community forums. 

Once you speak to our cancellations team they will also be able to give you a price on the broadband package alone.

Many thanks Jodi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, Jodi.

I'm aware that some of VM's pricing means that a bundled service (broadband + phone) can be cheaper than an unbundled service (broadband only) for new customers when VM provide an incentive to take the bundle. However, this no longer seems to be the case for existing customers, or for new customers who don't want a bundle.  As I mentioned above, VM new offer an unbundled broadband-only service for £37 per month, so I don't see any reason for my present out-of-contract £38 per month to increase in price if the phone service is removed.

I don't think it would be sensible for me to ask the cancellations team to cancel the landline from my account as that would inevitably mean losing the number.  The way the number porting process works is that the Subscriber (me) instructs the Recipient Provider (to use Ofcom's terms) to acquire the number.  The Recipient Provider then requests porting from the Donor Provider (VM in this case) and the conclusion of that process cancels provision by the Donor Provider.  All this happens without any contact between the Subscriber (me) and the Donor Provider (VM).

For anyone who's interested, the process is defined in Ofcom's General Conditions.

My uncertainty is what happens at that point, after VM have ceased landline provision at the request of my new provider.  Presumably there's something in the process that triggers VM to review the contract price and contact the customer if the price changes.  Ideally, I'd like to understand how that price review process works before starting the porting process.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi bromham, 

When we receive notification of you taking your line to another provider, you would be sent a new contract advising of the broadband only price.

You would however need to contact us on 150/ 0345 454 1111 to negotiate a new broadband deal.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice.

0 Kudos