Menu
asim18
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Phone number issue and leaving

Hi there,

I left Virgin Media in January and switched to Vodafone because Virgin wouldn't go lower than £45. A week after switching I get a phone call from Virgin telling me I can keep the same services for £29, matching Vodafone.

I told him It's too late and he told me it's never too late and to simply cancel Vodafone before the 14 day cooling period and he will sort everything out for me

Unfortunately he forgot to get my phone number back from Vodafone.

It's now been three months without a phone line and I have heard multiple lies.

• Some representatives tell me Vodafone is supposed to Give the number back to Virgin.
  • Some representatives tell me Virgin was supposed to take the number, but forgot to do so.
  • One representative told me the number is lost and that I need to switch to BT to get it back because the number is tied to my local BT exchange.
  • One representative told me shes put a porting request in and my phone number will be back within 7 days.
  • One representative told me a new internet modem with integrated phone sockets, will help in porting my number back to Virgin.
  • I received a broken old modem yesterday, a potential fire hazard because there are metal items rattling around inside.
  • Told I will receive another modem on 22nd, call today to get tracking number and get given a fake tracking number for yodel.
  • I call again and they will not tell me the dispatch date of the replacement.
  • I call to cancel because I am fed up with going round in circles and he tells me I'll have to pay a early disconnection fee.

What an absolute palaver. He's got nothing to say about all the stress Virgin Media has caused me and my family for the past 3 months, and when I call to cancel because you've lost my phone number and cant get it back, he tells me I will basically have to live in stress for another 15 months because "you've signed a contract". Abysmal customer "service".

I can't stress my family for 15 months. I was already with Vodafone and you suckered me back in and lost my telephone number in the process.

Now just let me go without penalty. You have already caused me and my family too much stress these past 3 months. I cannot endure 15 more months of this stress.

My request:

Please give me an exact date (within 30 days) on which my telephone number will be fully restored, if the telephone number is not ringing my home phone by this date, you must let me leave without penalty/fees. Or just let me go now (without penalty).

I cant believe how quickly they use the "you'll need to pay a early disconnection fee" line but they have absolutely nothing to say about the lying representatives.

How can I have a early disconnection fee if my phone is not even connected? hahaha. You cant charge me for disconnecting a service that isn't even connected! My contract is for a package including the phone line. You cant just choose which items you want. It's a package.

Thank you.

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

asim18
Dialled in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone number issue and leaving

I've just gotten off the phone again trying to explain how threatening to charge a disconnection fee for a non-connected package is completely disgraceful.

Then a very professional sounding lady called Lorraine gave me a date of 28th. She told me my number will be "100%" connected on the 28th.

So I will wait.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

do you have the phone line connected with another number?
Porting fails as per ofcom rules if the line with the number being ported from has been cancelled or has a cancelation request on it. So if you told vodafone you wanted to cancel int he 14 days the number port would fail
0 Kudos
asim18
Dialled in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post apcyberax, some helpful info. But which port do you mean would have failed?

The first one going from virgin to vodafone?
or the second one coming back to virgin?

The number was successfully ported to Vodafone. Vodafone had trouble cancelling within the 14 days and actually billed me for 2 months and my line was active for at least 1 and a half months before they actually cancelled, but they quickly adjusted both bills to zero because they had a note on their system saying I requested cancellation within 14 days.

This should have been enough time for Virgin to reclaim or "port" the number back.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

the 2nd. from vodafone to virgin media if you requested Vodaphone to cancel the account before the number was ported even if still active the number port would fail
0 Kudos
asim18
Dialled in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure your right but I honestly cant make heads or tails of it.

I'd asked Virgin Media to cancel before I entered all my details on Vodafone's website. So how did Vodafone get the number in the first place if my virgin account was due to be cancelled and Vodafone aren't allowed to take a number from an account that's cancelled/due to be cancelled? Bit of a paradox?

Also, why wouldn't one cancel their old provider when going to a new one? Surely if the phone number is going to a new provider then why wouldn't you cancel the old provider? It makes no sense. And the Virgin representative who sold me the £29 contract explicitly stated that all I need to do is cancel Vodafone within the cooling off period and he will sort everything out for me.

As I understand your post, we have to keep our intention to leave a secret from the old company until we have signed up to another one, and if the old company finds out the secret that I intend to cancel they will put some sort of lock on the phone number in order to intentionally make people's lives a misery? Sounds like a bit of a conspiracy theory to me. Surely that cant be true. Or maybe I've completely misunderstood.

Anyway I have contacted Vodafone, the number is not theirs, they tell me Virgin is supposed to take the number the same way they took it from Virgin. Vodafone was able to take the number for a month and a half but virgin seems to be having trouble.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Asim18,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your landline port looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you. I understand the issue but I just want to go over a few things that I've read in your post and also ask a few more questions if you don't mind.

You ported over to us from Vodafone, can I ask when this was please? 

When were you first installed with us? 

Do you have a landline operating at the moment with a temporary landline number?

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
asim18
Dialled in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for offering to help Megan_L but this is now resolved. Phone number is working today.

I was a bit annoyed because all the representatives I spoke to before Lorraine seemed to have no idea what's going on and couldn't give me a straight answer. So huge thanks to Lorraine who did things properly.

One issue though, the second-hand modem I have been sent for hooking up my phone line is way slower than my old one. Connection just seems really jittery, download speeds aren't consistent.

I thought I'd see an improvement with a more modern modem, but my old Superhub 1 from 10 years ago (Netgear VMDG480) is much more stable and gives much stable connection. Maybe I've been sent someone's old second-hand faulty modem??

I will monitor the stability of the connection anyway and if the modem doesn't stabilize I will start a separate thread on this issue, but for now at least I have a working phone line.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi asim18

Thanks for coming back to us. I've ran a check on the system, no issues are showing with the router on it and all levels are in spec. Do keep monitoring it for me and let us know how you get on

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos