I think that there's plenty of evidence in these forums and elsewhere that VM don't intend to play the discount game like they used to, and whilst that will ultimately have to change, it may not change for months or even a couple of years.
So I'm afraid your options are:
1) Pay the full rate, but be able to leave at a months notice.
2) Accept the insulting discount and be locked in for another year.
3) Investigate your alternative options for a new ISP.
If you decide to leave, I suggest you get the new ISP connected and working BEFORE cancelling VM. That'll mean you pay for two connections during the overlap, but ensures that you're not left without connectivity if the new connection is delayed or has problems. Also, if you want a TV package your choices are limited to big 'n' crap companies, but if you want phone and broadband, investigate smaller ISPs like AAISP, Aquiss, uno, IDNet, and Zen Internet. Customer service and tech support is far better from those companies. Whoever you choose, read up on sites like Trustpilot before committing
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks