cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password not working

Nigsdylan
Tuning in

Can someone help with a way to contact a real software engineer that understands networking please? While reading emails yesterday I had an email saying I had successfully changed my password when I had not changed anything and both Outlook and Microsoft mail started complaining my settings were wrong. I immediately changed my password fearing I had been hacked though I had a similar thing happen several years ago and that turned out to be something the Virgin servers were doing. Neither the old nor new password work. Pressing the 'contact us' in the password change email is useless as it goes to self help pages. I got through to the helpline yesterday and I explained the problem but the young lady kindly took me through changing my password and completely misunderstood the problem. I tried again today being a little more assertive and another young lady kindly told me she couldn't help with third party apps like Outlook and Mail. I was insistent that the problem was with my password and not with Outlook or Mail and was eventually put through to a second level person who changed my password to virgin123 and it worked for a few minutes while he tried to sell me Sports and Cinema on the TV service. I changed my password from virgin123 to a more realistic password but that password does not work with Outlook, Mail or logging on with email and password on web browsers. I can logon on to Virginmedia using Biometrics or Tokens but not with email and password so Outlook and Microsoft mail do  not work.

I don't think the helpline folk understand what I am saying and I am sure I just need five minutes talking to someone who does understand who can reset my password properly. Can anyone help please?

5 REPLIES 5

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

FYI: you need to generate an App Password for use with other email clients / apps, read more below:

If you use an email client, you need to use your Virgin Media Mail address as the username, and your separate Virgin Media Mail app password which can be managed in Account Settings in My Virgin Media.

Please note that as this password is separate from your sign in details for My Virgin Media (or any Virgin Media apps) this won’t affect your My Virgin Media password. So, if you check your Virgin Media Mail emails through My Virgin Media or at mail.virginmedia.com, you'll still only need your My Virgin Media password.

[Source Login problems | Virgin Media Help]

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Nigsdylan 👋 Thank you for your post 😀

We're sorry to hear about the problem you're experiencing 😔

Have you tried following the excellent advice provided by @用心棒? If so, has it had the desired effect?

General advice on managing e-mail accounts can be found here

Please pop back to us whenever you're ready and we'll do our very best to help.

Regards,
Daniel

Annabellep
Joining in

Hi I had a similar problem and. Virgin had locked me out of my email so did password reset. I could then access my emails on the server but not on 3rd party apps, such as Mail. Spoke to Virgin who tried to sell me Gadget Rescue. Anyway I found the solution. Log on to your Virginmedia account then go to account settings, then account details. Scroll down to Virginmedia email and click manage. Scroll down to app and click get password. Screen shot it or write it down. The go on to your 3rd party app and use that password. It worked for me, hope this helps.

Nigsdylan
Tuning in

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am somewhat disgusted by Virginmedia help with this. It turned out that it is correct that I needed an App password that I had never needed in the past. I think the help advice on the website changed during the week but somewhat after the start of the problems. Four long phone calls to the helpline said nothing about the change to the passwords and the only notification I had was the email saying I had changed my password when I hadn't. Virgin must do better!

Sorry you feel this way Nigsdylan, we understand the frustration but are happy to hear you have been able to resolve this following the support from the forum members.

If you do need support or assistance, please don't hesitate to get in touch via the forums and we'll be happy to help.

Rob