Menu
frankturley
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Password Change not working

I have been hounded for some weeks now by some being that has been using my e-mail address to create general mischief with my e-mail. I decided to change my password to see if this would have any effect. I duly did so, and had an e-mail from Virgin telling me I had successfully changed my password.

However, when I tried to update my Thunderbird e-mail client with the new password, it failed to connect. When I tried it with the old password it was fine.

I have therefore concluded that the password change failed.

(I might perhaps go to the length of deleting this e-mail address, but I'm not sure that's possible)

0 Kudos
frankturley
Joining in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Password Change not working

I'm more mystified now.

My Thunderbird e-mail client has been getting my e-mail from the VM server since I changed the password, but when I tried to send an e-mail, it needed the new password. Does this mean there are two passwords, one for incoming and one for outgoing e-mail?

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi frankturley, thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am really sorry you've had issues with your email access since changing your password.  It sounds as though the password change on our side has gone through.  A way of definitely confirming this would be to attempt to sign into your email via our website.  Have you already attempted to delete your account and re-add your account via your 3rd party email client?  If you've not, I would certainly try this please.

Regards

Lee

0 Kudos
frankturley
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee,

Thank you for coming back to me. The password change did not appear to affect incoming e-mails, as Thunderbird carried on fetching them after the change. However, when I used Thunderbird a few days after the change to write an e-mail, it then requested the new password.

I was concerned because if my e-mail had been hacked, the hacker could continue to read my e-mails after the password change. This is not what I expected.

Frank Turley

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I understand Frank.  Would it be possible to try my previous advice if you haven't already?

Regards

Lee

0 Kudos
frankturley
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee,

I am reluctant to delete my account from Thunderbird because I have stored my kept e-mails locally in a folder hosted by my e-mail address, and I fear that deleting the account would cause me to lose them. Sadly they are kept in a Thunderbird, rather than Windows, format, so I can't just copy them and restore them.

What I have done in the last 5 minutes is try Thunderbird on my back-up PC, and without changing any settings it has downloaded my latest e-mails. Clearly there is a security problem here, as e-mails can still be read after a password change.

Frank Turley

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry Frank. You would need to remove & re-add for the password change to take effect with Thunderbird, if it's IMAP then that will be fine regardless, if it's set up using POP3 then you'll need to take some action first. There's some advice on the Mozilla forum here for saving the emails and ensuring you don't lose them.

Regards

Lee

0 Kudos
frankturley
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee,

I think perhaps you are not seeing why I am concerned.

Let's suppose my hacker had set up his e-mail account to read my e-mails. My changing the password would not stop him from continuing to read my e-mails, so it seems a futile exercise.

You can test this yourself - create a test e-mail address, set it up with Thunderbird, and send a test e-mail from another e-mail address. Then change the password on the account, and then send yourself another test message. You will find you can still read it with Thunderbird without changing anything.

I would have expected the password change to stop e-mails being read after the change.

Frank Turley

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I understand your issue Frank.  I will liaise with a colleague regarding your concern and get back to you if that's okay?

Regards

Lee

0 Kudos
frankturley
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Lee, I look forward to hearing from you.

Frank.

0 Kudos