Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Out of contract - unable to get black Friday deal

I have seen an offer for the ultimate oomph at £77.99 a month. As I am out of contract, I thought I would upgrade but the gentleman I spoke to could only offer me the same package at £102 month. Could I check if anyone has been in a similar situation as me as I think it is ridiculous existing customers out of contract are not able to get the same deal as new customers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Out of contract - unable to get black Friday deal

That's correct, Virgin is the only remaining major ISP which doesn't allow existing customers to re-contract on new customer prices.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/virgin-resists-ofcom-pressure-to-offer-loyal-customers-same-broad...

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for such a quick reply. Have you any suggestions - Should I contact the cancellation team and see what they say?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

HI Chaudharykhan

If I could have got the Ultimta Oomph at the £102 price I would have snapped the agents hands off.

However there's no harm in speaking to Retentions (thinking of leaving us) and see if they can offer anything better. 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I managed to get "new customer" pricing once during my 3-4 years with Virgin. At the time I was paying about £144 a month and received an e-mail that my bill was going to be increased by £3 a month; I logged onto Virgin's website and realised not only was I already paying about £20 a month more than Virgin's highest package after the 18 month promotional pricing would have ended (nearly £50 a month during first 18 months!), but I also had slower broadband and no unlimited 4G sim. Retentions (cancellations?) were able to move my package to the "new" one usually reserved for new customers at the promotional price.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all for your responses. VM have come down to £95 a month. Let's see if they will come down closer to Black Friday.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I was only 4 months into a new 18 month contract and contacted Virgin today via webchat to ask about upgrading to ultimate oomph.  The price they offered me was £85 a month for 18 months.  So they can get close to the new customer pricing if you time it right.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chaudharykhan,

Thank you for posting on our Community Forum. I'm sorry to understand that you're unhappy with the existing package prices which have been offered to you. 

All our customer will benefit from a new customer deal when joining us, is it then made clear that the package will revert to standard prices once the introductory deal has expired.  This ensures all our customer are treated exactly the same. The welcome offers are designed to allow a customer to experience our service at a very low cost with minimal financial benefit to the business.

Sadly, we cannot help much with package changes here from the forums. But you're more than welcome to discuss this further with the team on either 0345 454 1111 / 150 or via our text service on 0753 305 1809.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi all, thanks for all your help.

So I put in a cancellation request last night as I had my mind set to move to BT with the 900MB package. However today I got a phone call from the retentions team offering me the ultimate oomph package for £74 with no service/installation charge. I guess virgin do value you when you make a firm commitment to leave and go to another provider, would have been nice to to negotiate this before when I wanted to take it out at £77.99.

Hope this helps anyone in the same situation I was in.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you for sharing.
Called them today, summary of my conversation,

Called Virgin media, asked to cancel (current discount deal £34 per month ending March 21). 100MB and landline.
Told them I want to leave to take advantage of Black Friday deals.
She offered new deal at £31 on current package.
I told her VM Black Friday deal, 100MB, 112 channel tv and landline is £28.99 per month.
She said that is for new customers, I told her to cancel and I will get a new deal with BT, sky or talk talk.
Then said she will check with her manager and offered £26 per month for my current package, saving £8 per month.
Awesome result.