Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

On line billing - same old shabby Virgin!

I'm just completing my 2019-2020 tax return for a student house I rent out and need copies of my broadband bills for that period. Looking up my bills online they only go back to the 18th November 2019, leaving 7 bills missing.

I called the billing department and asked for copies of the missing bills and was told that they could be printed and sent to me for £1.75 per bill. That's £12.25! I explained that they had been emailed to me in the past but apparently that option is now not available.

I've never been told that on-line billing only show records for the last year.

I have two accounts and pay Virgin Media £160 per month and have done so since they took over from NTL.

Customer loyalty?...............same old shabby Virgin!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: On line billing - same old shabby Virgin!

It used to be that the customer billing page had the last six months of e-bills, but a further six months were available via the call centre and could be sent via email.

A while back the customer access to bills was extended so now both you and agents have access to the same 12 months of e-bills so there is nothing in the system to email that you can't already see.

As the bills you want are over a year old, then they would have always only have been available via the chargeable reprint.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Not so shabby VM - eh?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Of course, the bills are not actually missing.

They’ve just not been kept by someone who needs them to complete an important document.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I wonder whether you could make a Subject Access Request under GDPR?
M350 over FTTP
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I wonder if there is any legal requirement on Virgin Media to retain copies of customers’ bills and for how long?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes I agree Ernie, I should keep all this up to date but sometimes busy working people, with other commitments forget. It's not only the Virgin bills, there's Gas, Electricity, Water and all the other stuff ones's 'red hot' printer has to deal with!

I can see no reason why Virgin Media shouldn't allow me to access all my past bills or perhaps provide an annual statement, like banks do, should one require it.

Bearing in mind how much I have spent with Virgin, I would have like them to have been more helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Looking at a few of my bills. Here are two, neither of which offer bills back to the start of LAST tax year:

BT 15 months

Amazon credit card 6 months

I would give you British Gas but their system is down.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Louisfw wrote:

I can see no reason why Virgin Media shouldn't allow me to access all my past bills or perhaps provide an annual statement, like banks do, should one require it.

Storing copies of bills in the format customers receive them takes storage space and has a cost. 12 x 3/4 pages of a bill x millions of customers is a fair bit of storage as it is. For residential services, most queries are within a 12 month window so that's limit of bills that you can easily access. Once you go past that point then to get customer version of a bill requires work to re-generate, which is why there is a charge.

As mentioned Virgin Media also have to comply with data retention rules across multiple industry and other regulations. The main thrust of this is that they can't keep personal data for any longer than it needs to retained. So they can't keep full details of bills indefinitely as they contact personal data without a reason to have it. As it stands Virgin Media keep full details of a bill in one format for 12 months, another format for a further 12 months and then unnecessary data is deleted.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own