Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Not Honouring Offer

I'm having issues with Virgin Media on their failure to honour an offer which was available in August. I signed up to their Ultimate Oomph package - Full TV, Unlimited data SIM, M500 broadband and unlimited mins phone line. It also came with a free Bose Smart Speaker. 

The deal came was priced at £79 per month and after 18 months would rise to £139 per month. 

I've just received my third monthly bill and on all occasions the price has been £139. I managed to get them to apply a credit on the first two months (the bill for the first two months came as one) but I'm now having issues in getting them to reduce the third monthly bill which has just arrived (£139). 

I've sent customer services screen shots of the deal which I took out but the problem I'm having is that the order conformation email shows no mention of the £79. Only £139 was mentioned. I did query this at the time of signing up to the deal but the customer service operative assured me the first 18 months would be priced at £79. This has not happened. 

I signed up to the deal on 25th August and I have photos of the VM website showing the offer on this date. When VM applied the credit to my first two months' bill, they assured me that they had applied a rolling credit so this wouldn't happen again. However, it has. 

Just wondered what my next steps should be as I don't want to have to contact VM customer services every month to request they apply a credit to get the cost down to the advertised £79 a month. 

Any help appreciated

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Not Honouring Offer

These "didn't get the deal I agreed" situations happen from time to time.  However, your legal rights are crystal clear - information provided by a company verbally or written is binding if the consumer relies upon it when entering a contract (Consumer Rights Act 2015), so VM have to honour whatever was promised, whether they like it or not.  And perhaps they need to re-train some of their staff.

Hopefully the forum staff can pick this up and get it sorted - by which I mean that you get exactly the deal you were promised, not some less attractive compromise.  That would be the cheapest and quickest resolution for both parties, and the best way of trying to recover some goodwill in a bad situation.  If they can't get it sorted in that complete manner, you need to search, read and follow the Virgin Media Complaints Code of Practice.  Don't start a complaint until you've seen if the forum staff can get this sorted, because I believe they can't get involved once it has become a formal complaint. 

If you do need to raise a formal complaint (I suggest in writing, by recorded post), reject the contract they're trying to impose, and demanding that as per your legal rights the company honour what was promised, and pointing out that if the company can't honour its agreement you will escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS as soon as permitted by the rules.  In the meanwhile, don't do anything daft like stopping your direct debit, that'll be recorded as a credit default, and opens up whole new realms of difficulty for you.  Don't worry if VM contact you claiming that they couldn't get hold of you, so will close the complaint if they don't hear to the contrary, this doesn't stop you being able to take the matter further.

If VM still won't honour the contract despite the complaint, or say they're going to close the complaint, then you follow the process and escalate to the industry arbitration scheme no sooner than eight weeks after your initial complaint was received by VM.  Explain the background and request that VM be required to give you the promised deal, fully backdated, and add on a request for compensation for the hassle.  Not only does escalation to CISAS cost VM money (free to you, costs of several hundred quid are ALWAYS paid by the company) but it gets your case investigated and impartially heard by expert dispute resolution staff.  From published data, the majority of complaints escalated to CISAS, either the company immediately concedes, compromises, or loses at the end of arbitration.  Sadly that's not quick, and VM have up to eight weeks to resolve the complaint before you can go to CISAS, on the other hand your legal rights are very clear.

Fingers crossed for both you and VM that the forum staff can get this resolved quicker, cheaper and without the formality.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi there

That's a very comprehensive and helpful answer. Many thanks for taking the time to post it. 

I'll wait to see if any of the forum staff pick this up and if not, I'll follow your advice. 

Much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi KidA,

Welcome to forums and thank you for your post 🙂
I am sorry to hear this and I can look into this for you, I will pop you over a private message and take a look for you. Just keep an eye out for the purple envelope.
thanks,
Zoie

0 Kudos