Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

No loyal customer offers

So after 14 years with Virgin media and mobile i have cancelled my contract. My hours at work have been cut and so i wanted to reduce my services for the time being to just BB, however after trying to get a new deal i failed and as a matter of principal i'm not paying more when new customer Joe Bloggs can get the same deal for less.. it's not a fair!! rant over and goodbye VM

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: No loyal customer offers

@1finger wrote:

So after 14 years with Virgin media and mobile i have cancelled my contract. My hours at work have been cut and so i wanted to reduce my services for the time being to just BB, however after trying to get a new deal i failed and as a matter of principal i'm not paying more when new customer Joe Bloggs can get the same deal for less.. it's not a fair!! rant over and goodbye VM

Common industry practice. So whoever you go to will do the same after your initial deal runs out. This is an issue from the top (UK government) down, as they insist it is proven that competition in the sector is working. This is gauged by the amount of people that switch providers. Hence providers have been encouraged to offer better deals to switch providers, with the regulator OFCOM turning a blind eye to a practice that actually makes the figures they produce of people switching much better than they should be. New customer deals are loss leaders. If they were offered to all existing customers then providers would quickly go bust, hence you would lose competition in the market. Need I go on.

So while you may be offered a standard new customer price if you pushed for it, introductory free or 6/12 month joining reductions you won’t.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

@1finger wrote:

Common industry practice. So whoever you go to will do the same after your initial deal runs out. This is an issue from the top (UK government) down, as they insist it is proven that competition in the sector is working. This is gauged by the amount of people that switch providers. Hence providers have been encouraged to offer better deals to switch providers, with the regulator OFCOM turning a blind eye to a practice that actually makes the figures they produce of people switching much better than they should be. New customer deals are loss leaders. If they were offered to all existing customers then providers would quickly go bust, hence you would lose competition in the market. Need I go on.

So while you may be offered a standard new customer price if you pushed for it, introductory free or 6/12 month joining reductions you won’t.

Actually things have changed a lot recently and Virgin is now the only big ISP which doesn't allow existing customers to re-contract on new customers prices. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/virgin-resists-ofcom-pressure-to-offer-loyal-customers-same-broad...

BT/Sky and the other major ISPs can now keep existing customers happy by offering them the same deal as new customers, but Virgin still refuse to do so.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Can you explain to me why providers would quickly go bust? i think if you kept 25 million customers happy with a fair deal you would be doing ok thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I dont think they would go bust, unless they were run by imbeciles.  They'd set the price according to what is sustainable, and avoid under charging new customers and overcharging existing ones.

0 Kudos