Menu
djwilliams250
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New account/can't access some sites

Hi,

I recently moved house and have been experiencing issues with some sites not allowing connections as well as not being able to connect with remote desktop connections, which I am required to be able to do for my job.

We have narrowed it down to Virgin Media blocking these connections and the first idea was to check websafe filtering however when signing into my account to do so, I am told that I am no longer with Virgin.

After some research and trying to find a contact email for virgin, I am taken in a loop on the contact us page which tells me to sign in, and then loops me back to the original contact us page. I do not want to try phoning again as I was previously on the phone for 76 minutes before it just ended the call on me with no warning.

I have also found out that moving house creates a new account, which I was not told, and so I tried to register with my new account number however cannot as it is tied into my old account and so I cannot check the settings to allow me to be able to do my job.

How do I access my account?

How do I allow these connections that are being blocked?

How do I make a complaint about all this if the website just loops you back (presumably to make it impossible to do so)?

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: New account/can't access some sites

If you have been setup as a new customer with a new account then the web safe parental filter is probably switched on.  The government made it a legal requirement for all new ISP accounts to have parental controls switched on by default.  As the VM filters only work through the VM DNS you can test this theory and bypass the filters by setting a device to use different DNS.  For example the Google DNS, see here for details:

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

VM do not have an email address for customer services.  If you can't get through on the phone then VM are recommending you send a text to 07533 051809 describing the issue and you should get a response, but it may take a day or two at present. This is a text only service, it does not support voice calls.  
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/When-and-how-to-use-our-messaging-service/ba-p/425...

Options for making a compliant here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/contactus/make-a-complaint

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
djwilliams250
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply.

I am already using different dns servers to Virgin Media due to problems with it in the past and have tried switching to google's from Cloudfare's which didn't make a difference.

I have managed to find a workaround for now which was to buy a VPN subscription.

The complaint page you have linked is the one that just takes me in a loop and does not actually allow me to make a complaint. It has actually changed since I last tried and now I get an extra "Sorry, there's nothing to see here" page before it redirects me to the first page so unfortunately, this link does not work.

How can I access my account if I cannot sign up with the new customer number until my old account is unlinked from my email?

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It can't be a web safe issue then, but if using a VPN "fixes" it then it sounds more likely that your VM IP address is being blocked by the sites you are trying to access.  This is not a VM issue as it is the web sites (or their hosting provider) doing the blocking not VM.  You would need to contact the site owners and ask them why they are blocking your IP or wait and see if they lift the block as most of them are temporary.  Also worth checking your LAN for devices with malware as that is a common reason for IPs getting blocked due to suspicious traffic.

The page I linked to also has a link to the VM compliant code of practice which lists a snail mail address for complaints, if all else fails.

As for resolving your account access issue, only VM can resolve that so your options are call, text, snail mail or wait here for a staff response.  Due to the current high number of posts a staff response on here may take quite some time.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi djwilliams250,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community forums. Sorry to hear that you have been having account access issues. A House move will create a new account for you however all details including your log in details would be transferred from the old account and address to the new one. Has this been sorted since your post?

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
djwilliams250
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Corey,

Apologies for the delay in response.

The transfer of my details has not been completed as my old account is still up and running under the email address I want to use for the account, so I cannot register the new one to manage it in the online portal.

Donovan

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Good afternoon @djwilliams250

We can get that sorted for you. 

I am going to drop you a PM so that I can get some account information. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos