cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer Deals v Loyalty Customer Deals

Marv95
On our wavelength

My Contract is finishing early August 2023. I have been with Virgin for 15 years.

There is a New Customer Deal (that offers the same package but better Broadband Speed) that I want to take out (which is significantly cheaper) but I am barred from taking it forcing me to leave Virgin for 1-3x months and re-join in the hope that I can get this New Customer deal.

As I understand it there is New Legislation coming out soon forcing Suppliers to offer deal to everyone not just enticing New Customers. So why if my Contract is ending why aren't I treated as a New Customer and have access to the better deals. It seems to me that it is ridiculous that I have to leave when I have all the equipment and I have the Service that I want.

Also, why does it always take 3hrs to get any where on a call with Virgin or in my case NOT get any where. I have requested a Manager contact me & they are never available. I am now waiting for the Retentions Team to contact me but it is highly likely they will not offer me the New Customer Deal so I will have to leave. I am looking at Toob at the moment. Virgin are infuriating!!!

52 REPLIES 52

Marv95
On our wavelength

cje85
Trouble shooter

@goslow wrote:

@cje85 wrote:

What new legislation is this? The only one I can think of applies to the insurance industry and so won't affect broadband/TV providers etc.

Most ISPs like BT and Sky will offer existing customers the chance to re-contract on new customer prices, but have greatly reduced the new customer offers as a result, there is usually only a £5/month difference. This is a voluntary scheme and VM haven't signed up to it. 

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/11/consumer-pricing-bill-might-ban-discounts-for-new-uk-b...

Oh, that's just a private members bill. Most of them never progress any further.

Indeed without Government backing and allocating time for it to be discussed, the vast, vast majority of PMB go nowhere beyond second reading!

However let’s imagine that this was to pass, and ISPs are not allowed to offer cheaper deals to ‘new customers’, what do you think is the more likely?

a) Considering that it is widely acknowledged that VM make no money (possibly even a loss) on the ‘new customer pricing’, and they rely on people staying and paying the full whack to make any money, they allow everyone to ‘renew’ at the low, low price - and be bankrupt and out of business in six months;

or 

b) Everyone pays the full amount, no discounts for anyone! 

THEGUYVER
On our wavelength

Agreed price means nothing to this company, they put it up everytime and then say "dont like it then leave"...mmmm

@THEGUYVER wrote:

Agreed price means nothing to this company, they put it up everytime and then say "dont like it then leave"...mmmm

Like many other ISPs

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2023/january/april-broadband-price-hikes/

Well this is the problem i am having right now, i cancelled my contract to get a better deal, but kept my phone on to not risk losing it, however since i am out of contract my price has double and they cant ;literally give me a better offer so it was better to get the deal whilst i was coming to the end of my contract so i don't know what do to do anymore, i haver to stay with virgin because other providers are no where near the speeds virgin offer what shall i do next. i have a week before my connection is turned off

But Virgin Media are a commercial entity, they exist, like every other company on the planet, to make money - no more, no less. They want to extract the maximum amount they can from you and every other customer, for the least service they can get away with. You, on the other hand, want the exact opposite.

They have a product/service that you want? How much do you want it? What’s it worth to you? How much are you willing to spend to get it? Or could you actually get away with a different product for far less money?

The choice is entirely yours, they owe you precisely nothing, and similarly, you owe them nothing in return!

Now I very much doubt that VM are sufficiently competent to do this, but if I were them, I would be tying your forum username to your actual VM account, and making a note of the fact that you have admitted that ‘you have to stay with VM’. Then I would set a flag against your account so that if you were to call VM looking for a deal, it would flag up on the agents screen that ‘THIS PERSON WILL NOT LEAVE - OFFER THEM NOTHING!'

In fact charge them extra! If this were a poker game, you have just shown all of your cards to the other players before betting has started!

Look, bottom line, everyone’s situation is different, but please just remember that VM are not a charity, they are absolutely not going to offer you anything at all, unless they are convinced that you are prepared to leave and hence they get nothing. The only, only way of getting any sort of good deal is to leave, put your notice in, no messing about - do it! You may, probably will, but not guaranteed, get a call sometime in your notice period offering you a better deal - take it or leave it. It’s all ultimately a game of bluff and counter-bluff.

It's a nice thought that VM is sufficiently clued up operationally to marry up forum accounts' confessed no-switch intentions with customer CRM records.

The headless chicken school of forum responses actually papers over the cracks of what appears to be a wholesale meltdown of VM operations particularly since the catastrophic O2 merger.

It's all clearly, albeit tragically, set out on Glassdoor. 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

adrianmunn
Tuning in

Sadly their customer loyalty with Virgin is about as bad as their customer service. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Because Virgin Media is a Disgrace of an ISP and mobile company.

Try BT?